Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU Compatibility on ASRock 960GC-GSFX Micro ATX Motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Compatibility on ASRock 960GC-GSFX Micro ATX Motherboard.

Hi guys,
    I am new to ASRock and would like some advice please.
    My wifes computer died and it was built on an an ABit An50 motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 processor, model type ADX6000CZBOX.
    With the rest of the bits as in my specs.
    This processor is not in the supported processor list for the ASRock 960GC-GSFX FX Micro ATX Motherboard but I was wondering if any of you have tried this processor in this board as it is an AM2 processor that should be compatible with this board.
    I do have a ADA4200IAA5CU that is in the supported processor list that I could use but would obviously like to use the faster 6000 cpu if possible.
    Any advice before I purchase this ASRock 960GC-GSFX FX Micro ATX Motherboard will be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance
    Whiskers

Re: CPU Compatibility on ASRock 960GC-GSFX Micro ATX Motherboard.

Likely the main if not only reason your ADX6000CZBOX processor is not found in the CPU support list is because the 960GC-GSFX FX is rated for use with up to 95W processors. The ADX6000CZBOX is a 125W processor.

Otherwise, compared to an 89W version of this processor taken from the CPU support list, they seem rather identical:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3 GHz, 125W) vs 6000+ (3 GHz, 89W)

I have no experience with this board, but my guess is it would function in this board, but not optimally long term. The CPU power regulation stage (VRM) is just a three phase design, with no heat sink. The power requirements of your CPU are beyond what this board can deliver, even at the stock CPU clock, any OC is out of the question.

In theory, you could down clock the speed of your processor to reduce power consumption and heat generation, but that might not be enough to reduce stress on the board. Your ADA4200IAA5CU is just below the 95W limit (89W), and is a much better match for this board. Even with your Scythye Mine CPU cooler, air movement through the PC case is necessary to keep the VRMs cool.

It seems you know this CPU needs good cooling, it's just that the board is not up to the task of supporting the CPU, in terms of power.

Comment

Last edited by Whiskers; 10-07-2014, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X