Problem with ASrock M3A UCC and Dual channel ddr3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with ASrock M3A UCC and Dual channel ddr3

Hello, I've been having a strange issue lately so I hope somebody will have an idea how to hopefully fix this.

The problem is, my nvidia display driver won't work when I have 2 sticks of ram inserted into my mobo in ANY combination. Both sticks work separately in each of the 4 slots. But If I put them inside together, windows just shuts down my display driver, whereas it works perfectly with only one stick at a time. I hope I'm missing something too obvious here.

Basically, this is what happens with a dual channel config:
    http://i.imgur.com/BB2IVlz.png

Specs:

MOBO: ASRock M3A UCC
    RAM: Kingmax FLFE85F-C8KM9 DDR3 1333 mHz, 2x2 GB
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GT 630 1GB GDDR5
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 240

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by profJim; 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM. Reason: edited post to include screen-shot image

Re: Problem with ASrock M3A UCC and Dual channel ddr3

I don't see your memory model, Kingmax FLFE85F-C8KM9, listed in the memory QVL list for your board. The closest Kingmax model is FLFE85F-B8MF9.

Two sticks may work, but four may cause problems.

What I don't understand is, your 630 video card is failing in Windows, but how do you get the screen shot of that? Do you have another video source?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I don't see your memory model, Kingmax FLFE85F-C8KM9, listed in the memory QVL list for your board. The closest Kingmax model is FLFE85F-B8MF9.

Two sticks may work, but four may cause problems.

What I don't understand is, your 630 video card is failing in Windows, but how do you get the screen shot of that? Do you have another video source?
      No, it just boots up with "Microsoft basic display driver", I believe that's what it's called. The screenshot might look fine now but it looks all stretched out on my monitor (16:10). Oh and putting 2 ram sticks also kills sound drivers, all I can hear are terrible scratching noises, much like loud TV static.

Yeah I looked into the supported module list but I don't get why wouldn't 2 of them work in tandem if they both work separately.

Comment

I understand, your display driver fails when using all four sticks, and the MS display driver is then used. You did say most of that in your first post.

If you check the memory support list of newer ASRock boards, you'll see that some memory models that are compatible are only compatible when using two DIMMs, not four.

Since your memory's compatibility is not 100% known, it is possible that using four DIMMs will not work.

You could try lowering the memory speed and increasing the timings and voltage to try to get it to work.

We normally don't understand everything about memory, such as what makes it compatible or not. Compatibility usually depends on the type of memory chips used, and their configuration on the DIMMs. You must check the specs of the memory controller in your PC, and the technical specs of the memory (type of chips and layout) to see if they match.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          I understand, your display driver fails when using all four sticks, and the MS display driver is then used. You did say most of that in your first post.

If you check the memory support list of newer ASRock boards, you'll see that some memory models that are compatible are only compatible when using two DIMMs, not four.

Since your memory's compatibility is not 100% known, it is possible that using four DIMMs will not work.

You could try lowering the memory speed and increasing the timings and voltage to try to get it to work.

We normally don't understand everything about memory, such as what makes it compatible or not. Compatibility usually depends on the type of memory chips used, and their configuration on the DIMMs. You must check the specs of the memory controller in your PC, and the technical specs of the memory (type of chips and layout) to see if they match.
          Umm, there's been a little misunderstanding. I only have 2 DIMM sticks, not four. One stick on single channel - works. Two sticks in either single or dual channel - doesn't work. Tried fiddling with voltages, timings and speeds. I think I've tried every possible combination of those. And sadly, ASRock e-mail support isn't replying to my mail.

Comment

You're not possibly "unlocking' that 240 into a 4 core are you?

I don't know which exact 240 you have, or if it's even possible to do with what you have there.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              You're not possibly "unlocking' that 240 into a 4 core are you?

I don't know which exact 240 you have, or if it's even possible to do with what you have there.
              No, most processors from the 2xx series aren't unlockable, except from 210 and 215 I think. They're native dual cores.

Comment

Working...
              X