No video on boot up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No video on boot up

I just put a new computer together snd do not get video on first boot. The CPU fan cycles on and off, but no video.

My system:

-AsRock z97X killer Fatalty

-Intel i5-4690k
    Enermax ETS-N30 cooling
    -Gskill Sniper DDR3 1866MHz 2x8Gb ram
    - Silverstone SST-ST60F psu
    WD 1TB HDD (x2)
    -LG super multi DVD
    Last edited by daytonacoupe; 12-20-2014, 11:51 PM.

Re: No video on boot up

Using on-CPU video apparently, or a video card? No video on first boot, but you do on a reboot, is that what you mean?

Do you have the video source (onboard or PCIe) selected in the BIOS?

I don't understand, "CPU fan cycles on and off...", do you mean the PC shuts off by itself, turns on again, or what?

Comment

I am using on board video, but I also tried installing a video card. I tried the onboard video with both a VGA cable as well as the DVI cable. I do not get video ever, no matter how many times I reboot. I also tried clearing the CMOS, but no video. I do not know how to see the BIOS settings when I never see anything on the monitor.

The CPU does seem to cycle on and off (the CPU fan certainly does so).

Comment

When I take everything off the mother board but CPU, CPU fan and power cables, I get 3 long beeps when I try to boot. When I add the RAM, I get 4 short beeps. Is this a bad motherboard? I changed out the RAM and I get the same 4 short beeps with either set of RAM (two 8GB DDR3 GSkill Sniper ram modules).

Is there a list of the boot error codes somewhere
        Last edited by daytonacoupe; 12-20-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Tried a known good cable?
          Is the display on? (power)
          Is the bios selecting the on-board or PCI ex?
          On the card are there more than one video output connector such as s-video, hdmi, or vga (25-pin d-shell)?
          Is the card NVidia?
          On new drivers for Nvidia only port you can use is default VGA....I think.
          This a very first boot situation?
          Has you seen the bios? Upon boot hit del or f2...if the bios screen does not appear try a new cable to the display. Use a vga by default
          Is the RAM on the QVL (qualified vendor list?)
          Hope this helps
          Last edited by acecade345; 12-19-2014, 09:14 PM. Reason: left out something

Comment

You do have the 2nd power connector (8 pin) installed?
            Since you can't see the issues your MB is trying to resolve - leave it to cycle for 10-15 minutes or so to let the BIOS attempt fall back modes.
            Doesn't your MB have the boot segment display built in to the MB- my manual lists events for the onboard segment display, not beeps.

Comment

Originally posted by acecade345 View Post
              Tried a known good cable? Yes the monitor and cable work fine on my old computer
              Is the display on? (power) seriously
              Is the bios selecting the on-board or PCI ex?
              On the card are there more than one video output connector such as s-video, hdmi, or vga (25-pin d-shell)?
              Is the card NVidia?
              On new drivers for Nvidia only port you can use is default VGA....I think.
              This a very first boot situation? Yes
              Has you seen the bios? Upon boot hit del or f2...if the bios screen does not appear try a new cable to the display. Use a vga by default
              Is the RAM on the QVL (qualified vendor list?) Changed RAM and still no video
              Hope this helps
              answers above

Comment

Originally posted by daytonacoupe View Post
                When I take everything off the mother board but CPU, CPU fan and power cables, I get 3 long beeps when I try to boot. When I add the RAM, I get 3 short beeps. Is this a bad motherboard? I changed out the RAM and I get the same 4 short beeps with either set of RAM (two 8GB DDR3 GSkill ram modules).

Is there a list of the boot error codes somewhere
                Three short beeps is a memory error. Notice you said 4 beeps later above, so I'm confused, which is it?

ASRock uses AMI sourced UEFI/BIOS. Their latest document about POST and beep codes is here, section 8.2:

http://www.ami.com/ami_downloads/AMI...Beep_Codes.pdf

Your memory may not be compatible with the board/memory controller. What are the full model numbers of the memory you're using? Using two DIMMS, slots A2 and B2 are recommended.

Your board's memory compatibility list is below. While the memory on this list is not the only memory that will be compatible, all DDR3 memory will not be compatible with any board and memory controller. Non-compatible memory is a common problem, and without memory the board cannot POST or run the BIOS interface.

ASRock > Fatal1ty Z97X Killer

You don't need to set the video source in the BIOS in order to get a signal to a monitor. If you use the onboard video with it set to a video card (PCIe) in the BIOS and no video card in the PC, the BIOS will switch to the onboard video.

I never use VGA cables with any video source, and all my Nvidia cards worked fine the first time with HDMI, DVI, or Display port. A new build without an OS does not have any video driver installed, so how could a driver influence the output source of the card? With a driver installed, have we ever seen a video card utility program that lets you choose the output source? None of these things is related to your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Three short beeps is a memory error. Notice you said 4 beeps later above, so I'm confused, which is it?

ASRock uses AMI sourced UEFI/BIOS. Their latest document about POST and beep codes is here, section 8.2:

Your memory may not be compatible with the board/memory controller. What are the full model numbers of the memory you're using? Using two DIMMS, slots A2 and B2 are recommended.

Your board's memory compatibility list is below. While the memory on this list is not the only memory that will be compatible, all DDR3 memory will not be compatible with any board and memory controller. Non-compatible memory is a common problem, and without memory the board cannot POST or run the BIOS interface.

ASRock > Fatal1ty Z97X Killer

You don't need to set the video source in the BIOS in order to get a signal to a monitor. If you use the onboard video with it set to a video card (PCIe) in the BIOS and no video card in the PC, the BIOS will switch to the onboard video.

I never use VGA cables with any video source, and all my Nvidia cards worked fine the first time with HDMI, DVI, or Display port. A new build without an OS does not have any video driver installed, so how could a driver influence the output source of the card? With a driver installed, have we ever seen a video card utility program that lets you choose the output source? None of these things is related to your problem.

Thanks for the post error (beep) codes. I changed the RAM from GSkill Sniper (not on the approved list) to Corsair Vengeance (on the approved list), and got the same errors.

Comment

After changing the memory you must clear the CMOS/BIOS.

Why did I not notice you have a DC processor? What BIOS version is in your board, it's on a sticker on the BIOS chips, lower right hand corner of the board. The CPU support list states version 1.30 for an i5-4690K.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                      After changing the memory you must clear the CMOS/BIOS.

Why did I not notice you have a DC processor? What BIOS version is in your board, it's on a sticker on the BIOS chips, lower right hand corner of the board. The CPU support list states version 1.30 for an i5-4690K.

I did clear the CMOS, but the new RAM still did not work.
                      The BIOS is version 1.70, so it should be OK.

Comment

Sometimes the BIOS just gets stuck. If you are still wanting to get this board running:
                        • Place jumper on BIOS reset.
                        • Remove battery for several hours, go and have dinner & coffee or better sleep on it.
                        • Replace battery and only then remove jumper.
                        • Reboot and set default settings

Seems strange perhaps, but I recovered many "dead" MB's with this method.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-23-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Short (and countable) beeps are usually related to VGA. RAM errors often produce repeating and endless long beeps. On new boards, however, memory faults tends to no picture and no beep!
                          Your good action was stripping the board; It is the best starting point. I recommend also start without the CPU and see what beep comes (if any).

Comment

Working...
                          X