Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Memory stick should I get?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a new PC specifically for gaming, and am wondering which RAM should I get.

The components I'm getting are:
    R9 290 GPU
    i7 4790k CPU
    Asrock Extreme4 Mobo

Here's the list I'm looking at:
    Choose Memory - PCPartPicker Australia

Also this is the store I'm using since I can get a special price there:
    https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=9

I've set it specifically to 8GB DDR3-2400 CAS10, since a alot of the games I play are very CPU intensive
    and some not even multi core optimized, like mount & blade, total war, arma etc.

And higher frequency have shown to have a pretty big performance increase in some of the benchmarks
    for those games.

I'm wondering which one on that list provides the best performance? And also overclocking ability as well?
    Also which works better for the haswell refresh cpu I'm using?

As there's too many different brands like G.skill, Corsair etc. and even different versions like Tridant, Ripjaws etc.
    so it's pretty confusing.

So which one should be the best for my build? Appreciate any help in this matter!

Re: Which Memory stick should I get?

Originally posted by sapped View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a new PC specifically for gaming, and am wondering which RAM should I get.

The components I'm getting are:
    R9 290 GPU
    i7 4790k CPU
    Asrock Extreme4 Mobo

Here's the list I'm looking at:
    Choose Memory - PCPartPicker Australia

Also this is the store I'm using since I can get a special price there:
    https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=9

I've set it specifically to 8GB DDR3-2400 CAS10, since a alot of the games I play are very CPU intensive
    and some not even multi core optimized, like mount & blade, total war, arma etc.

And higher frequency have shown to have a pretty big performance increase in some of the benchmarks
    for those games.

I'm wondering which one on that list provides the best performance? And also overclocking ability as well?
    Also which works better for the haswell refresh cpu I'm using?

As there's too many different brands like G.skill, Corsair etc. and even different versions like Tridant, Ripjaws etc.
    so it's pretty confusing.

So which one should be the best for my build? Appreciate any help in this matter!
    High-profile RAM is mostly a gimmick. Any decent brand (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc.) at a decent speed (1333MHz plus) will do fine. I'm running KHX@1600MHz and my games run exactly the same when I overclock the lot to 2000MHz.
    So, best keep an eye on your wallet as a couple of frames per second aren't worth a couple of 100 bucks.

Comment

Are there certain ones that are better for different applications or they all the same? Like video editing vs. gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
        High-profile RAM is mostly a gimmick. Any decent brand (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc.) at a decent speed (1333MHz plus) will do fine. I'm running KHX@1600MHz and my games run exactly the same when I overclock the lot to 2000MHz.
        So, best keep an eye on your wallet as a couple of frames per second aren't worth a couple of 100 bucks.
        Most of the high-end RAM is the same since they often use chips from the same manufacturer with the same specs. Lower end RAM can use cheaper, less performing grade chips.
        I've ran tests with Kingston "value RAM" (cheap) and some of their HyperX RAM and the results are close. The KHX performs a bit faster (read: a couple of frames per second quicker in a game) and overclocks far better than the value RAM.
        If you don't have to keep an eye on your wallet, go for broke. When working with a tight budget, buy cheaper RAM from a decent brand...

Comment

hi,

you should take a look at here: MaxxPI2 - Detailed analysis
          ... www.MaxxPi2.de

Comment

so it dose not make too huge of a difference what memory you buy...what dose matter is size for what you want too do, and frequency a little bit depending on if your intel or amd it may matter more or less..for gaming you would want at least 16gb to start but my minimum for myself is 30gb just because i like 8gb x4 to fill each dimm for looks and at some time or another apparently 30gb will be the next 16gfb for gaming..if you want nice...rgb ram, theirs the corsair rgb and g.skill and hyper x predator...those are for sure the top 3 best looking ram on the market and all very reputable..if you go and look for the exact set that i have...i got 30gb 3000mhz for 123 dollars on amazon and was not going to pass that deal up one bit...now i definitely got the only set for that price i have seen since...but its the cheapest for the capacity and frequency still that i have found online. but just get what YOU want and what you can afford...if you do that than you wont be making a mistake...and dont think the grass is greener on one side than another because its not, and it can cost you way more than it needs too

Comment

Working...
            X