Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb delivers power after shutdown

Hi,
    i have a very odd problem with my asrock fm2a88hd+ mainboard.
    When the System is shutdown my keyboard which is connected to usb2 on the back is still on.Only after i hit the switch on the powersuply the keyboard goes off.

In bios i enabled deepsleep,disabled all wake on action, enabled goodnight led.

in windows i turned off hibernate state.

The mainboard does NOT have a jumper,which is documented in the manual.

The odd part is that all devices connected the usb will be charged e.g a smarthpone.

Before i had this mb i onwed one from msi with this current keyboard and everything went out properly.
    I just have like no idea what causes the problem.Other options like off/on play or something my mb does not have.

Maybe you guys know a solution.
    greetings

Re: Usb delivers power after shutdown

No offense to you Andy Ru, what I'm saying below...

The last month or so has seen about one thread a day in this forum about the USB ports being powered up when the PC is shutdown, in various scenarios. It's probably time for a sticky thread about this, which will only help a bit I imagine.

Andy, what you noticed about the USB ports is normal, and as you know you cannot stop the USB ports from providing power without the power supply being turned off.

ASRock calls this "feature" App Charger, and its purpose is to charge cell phones and other devices using standard USB voltage (5V.) It is not considered a problem, it is done purposely, by design, and is considered a feature of our boards. Again, there is no way to turn off the power to the USB ports, you have tried everything that might do that, but there is no method to do so.

Several years ago Asus started doing this on some of their boards. I'm not sure if they were the first mother board manufacture to do this, but they could be. Other board manufactures copied this feature, and now we have it used in most if not all ASRock boards. Check your board's information page, you'll find App Charger described among the features.

If someone likes this feature, they just use it. Other users find it annoying like you for many reasons. A BIOS option to stop this feature would be good, but may not be possible, the electronic switch that could control this is not part of the board's design.

Comment

I have asrock z77 pro4 and also looking for an option to turn it off. For me it's a huge problem. I have two lightning devices connected (kinda Ambilight system and flashlight over my desk) and I sleep in the same room as my computer. In my case I've just updated my bios from 1.20 to 1.80 and since then I have this problem. I think I'm gonna downgrade it back, but because of that at least in my model it's a possible for asrock to make such option in BIOS.

Comment

Not familiar with the devices you mention but as parsec states "on USB ports" were thought to be a consumer want.

Not for me and many others. I have 3 of these MB's, and KB / mouse sleep nicely, my Pro6 fought me until I found the right mix of component sleep and goodnight

Make sure the AP for USB special charging is removed.

Comment

Finally found the marketing information about App Charger, with a couple of interesting tidbits included. This page has not been updated in a while, but I doubt how App Charger works has changed much, if at all:

ASRock > App Charger

Here's basically the same information from... our ASRock board's manual, usually in the Unique Features section. This text is from a P67 board, a similar paragraph can be found in my ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 manual, my Z87 OCF manual, my Z87 Extreme 6...

If you desire a faster, less restricted way of charging your Apple devices,
          such as iPhone/iPod/iPad Touch, ASRock has prepared a wonderful
          solution for you - ASRock APP Charger. Simply installing the APP Char-
          ger driver, it makes your iPhone charged much quickly from your com-
          puter and up to 40% faster than before. ASRock APP Charger allows you
          to quickly charge many Apple devices simultaneously and even supports
          continuous charging when your PC enters into Standby mode (S1), Sus-
          pend to RAM (S3), hibernation mode (S4) or power off (S5). With APP
          Charger driver installed, you can easily enjoy the marvelous charging
          experience than ever.

Can you see where the name APP Charger came from? Linking one product to another that is very popular. Why not iCharger... oops, never mind.

It seems that several of the ASRock mini PCs need to have a BIOS option set in a certain way, to enable App Charger. From the App Charger web page:

To support APP Charger under S5 (Shut Down),
          A. If you could find "Deep S5" in BIOS SETUP, please set the option to [Disable].
          B. If you could not find the Deep S5 option, please set BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Settings > "PCI Devices Power On" as [Enabled].

Does the above imply that the App Charger feature can be disabled/enabled via a certain BIOS option? I don't mean our boards have that option now, but that it is potentially possible?

This caught my attention:

Originally posted by Buszmen View Post
          I have asrock z77 pro4 and also looking for an option to turn it off. For me it's a huge problem. I have two lightning devices connected (kinda Ambilight system and flashlight over my desk) and I sleep in the same room as my computer. In my case I've just updated my bios from 1.20 to 1.80 and since then I have this problem. I think I'm gonna downgrade it back, but because of that at least in my model it's a possible for asrock to make such option in BIOS.
          Assuming this is true, what happened in the Z77 Pro 4 BIOS after version 1.20 that seemed to activate App Charger? Is this another clue that App Charger could be disabled with a BIOS option? I imagine that it may not be possible if whatever component actually controls the power to the USB ports does not have the switch on some boards, or the signal to the switch is not implemented.

Comment

Working...
          X