G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb and ASRock H97M Pro4 compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb and ASRock H97M Pro4 compatibility

I recently purchased upgrades for my computer, and it the ram will not work in dual channel mode.

Specs (other parts as seen in link above)
    • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8gb (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)
    • Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4
    • Processor: i5-4690k

Details:
    • When I boot with two sticks of ram in dual channel mode, the computer refuses to boot. I get 4 beeps, and the monitor stays off.
      • Internet search shows this to be an issue with the ram.
      • I tried removing my GPU and plugging my monitor into the motherboard, but this made no difference.
      • I can't even get to the UEFI menu to see if changing the ram settings makes a difference.

• I tried booting with the sticks in A1 and A2, and in B1 and B2, same issue both ways.
    • I was able to boot with both sticks in single channel (A1 and B1) however it would power down before windows finished loading
    • I can boot off of one 8gb stick.
    • I have had both the memory and the motherboard replaced (with the same models) and am still having the same issue.
      • Memory was replaced through Newegg.
      • Newegg would not take my motherboard (missing UPC from rebate) so I replaced this through the manufacturer.

• Cross-testing similar memory: After I got the memory replaced and still had the issue, I tested my memory in someone else's computer; it went through a full memtestx86 run with no problems. I tried my brother's Ripjaws Sniper (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR) dual channel 2x4gb, and these had the same issue as my memory, however they are currently running just fine in his computer.

The motherboard says it supports 32gb of ram maximum. My specific model of memory is not in the compatibility list, however the quad channel 32gb version (F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL) is, therefore I assumed this should work as well (after all, the quad channel is 4x8gb, mine is 2x8gb). My brother's memory (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR) is not in the list, however the same model with a '2' at the end (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2) is (not sure what the difference between these is, can't find any details online).

Can you guys tell me what's wrong with my setup? So far as I can tell, everything should work just fine.
Working...
X