No announcement yet.

Have I plugged in the System Panel Header correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I plugged in the System Panel Header correctly?

Hey guys,

This is the first time I'm assembling a computer component, I'm just wondering whether I installed the Onboard Headers and Connectors correctly for the System Panel Header.

Basically this is the motherboard I'm using, Asrock Z97 Extreme6:
    ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/qig/Z97%20...6_multiQIG.pdf

The System Panel Header is in page 27 of PDF file (or page 25 of manual)

The thing is those pins on my motherboard does not show the positive or negative sign, only white and black wires.

The PLED wires are separate, I've plugged the white wire into the first column and the black wire into the second column of the first row.

The HDLED wires are not separate but still have 1 white and 1 black wire, so I plugged the white into first column and black into the second. (of the second row)

The PWRBTN wires is also not separate and comes in black and white, I plugged the white one into 3rd column of first row, and the black one into the GND one to its right? (is this even correct? what does GND mean?)

However for the RESET wires, they are both black and also not separate. Does it matter where I plug it as long as one wire connects to the RESET# hole, and the other one to the GND hole anywhere on the system panel header?

Sorry for asking these questions, but this is absolutely the first time I'm learning to assemble. And this instruction manual is not very clear or the wires are not labelled correctly.

Appreciate any response!

Re: Have I plugged in the System Panel Header correctly?

Originally posted by sapped View Post
    Hey guys,

This is the first time I'm assembling a computer component, I'm just wondering whether I installed the Onboard Headers and Connectors correctly for the System Panel Header.

The thing is those pins on my motherboard does not show the positive or negative sign, only white and black wires.

The PLED wires are separate, I've plugged the white wire into the first column and the black wire into the second column of the first row.

The HDLED wires are not separate but still have 1 white and 1 black wire, so I plugged the white into first column and black into the second. (of the second row)

The PWRBTN wires is also not separate and comes in black and white, I plugged the white one into 3rd column of first row, and the black one into the GND one to its right? (is this even correct? what does GND mean?)

However for the RESET wires, they are both black and also not separate. Does it matter where I plug it as long as one wire connects to the RESET# hole, and the other one to the GND hole anywhere on the system panel header?

Sorry for asking these questions, but this is absolutely the first time I'm learning to assemble. And this instruction manual is not very clear or the wires are not labelled correctly.

Appreciate any response!
    When adding the header plugs, make sure that the label on the plug is facing outward (up for the upper row, down for the bottom row)...

*EDIT*

For the separate wires, black is GND (ground, negative), white is "live" (positive).
    Last edited by Jimmy Jump; 01-28-2015, 04:32 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Re: Have I plugged in the System Panel Header correctly?

Originally posted by sapped View Post
      Hey guys,

Appreciate any response!
      Sorry but this, "The thing is those pins on my motherboard does not show the positive or negative sign, only white and black wires.", does not make sense.

I have this board, and the System Panel Header on my board has + and - symbols on the board below each pin on this header, except for the Reset and Power connections.

The white and black wires you mentioned are obviously from your case's power, reset, and HDD and Power LED connections. The board does not have "white and black wires" from the System Panel Header.

The black wires should be the - or GND (ground) connections, and the white the + connections. If a set of wires into a connector does not have both white and black wires, it does not matter which particular pins for that connector are used, just as long as it is connected to the Reset and Power pins, in your situation.

Given this, we can notice that the only connections that require a + and - connection are the LEDs, which makes sense. If the power or reset button does not work, just connect them again with the wires on the opposite pins. The connections for those buttons won't damage anything if they are connected "wrong", IF there is a wrong way, but there isn't.

From the manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z97 sys header.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	754818

Comment

Working...
      X