P55a UD3R bypas AHCI Bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P55a UD3R bypas AHCI Bios

Hi, I have a p55a ud3r and i5 750, after searching the forum and reading various threads, I still could not find if you can have AHCI enabled in the bios but without the delay in booting that is caused by it detecting drives.
    I have bios f14b mod from the latest beta bios thread.
    In newer boards although you can enable AHCI in bios the Serial ATA AHCI Bios Version iSrc 1.20E screen does not show up and booting is much faster.
    So is there any way to skip that screen during boot, and having AHCI enabled? Is there any way to update the AHCI bios like for the intel raid version?

Re: P55a UD3R bypas AHCI Bios

Look for an option in your BIOS, normally the Boot screen, that is something like this: AddOn ROM Display. Set that to Disabled or Keep Current.

The AHCI "BIOS", or really what is called the Option ROM, is actually part of the BIOS itself, and can be changed with a BIOS update when the update has a different AHCI Option ROM.

The SATA (AHCI/RAID) Option ROM is only occasionally updated by mobo manufactures in BIOS updates. It is possible to use a modified BIOS with a new SATA Option ROM, if you are up to doing that, or finding someone that will do that for you. AFAIK, the Intel SATA Option ROM (which is the one you are referring to) is the same for AHCI and RAID.

Displaying the Option ROM screen for AHCI is kinda strange, but a P55 board was new in the days when AHCI was finally becoming standard, so I assume that is why it was even bothered to be displayed.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check for that option when I get home. I already updated the bios with a mod bios with updated raid rom and I hoped it will also update the ahci rom but it still displays 1.20e :(.

Comment

Hi, I checked but unfortunately there's no option like that, I will upload some screenshots I took of the bios. I tried selecting RAID instead of AHCI but the AHCI Rom still loads and Windows of course crashes because it was istalled with AHCI. Shouldn't RAID bypass the AHCI Rom?
        Last edited by hurdubaiev; 02-11-2015, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hurdubaiev View Post
          Hi, I checked but unfrotunately there no option like that, I will upload some screenshots I took of the bios. I tried selecting RAID instead of AHCI but the AHCI Rom still loads and Windows of course crashes because it was istalled with AHCI. Shouldn't RAID bypass the AHCI Rom?
          You can't judge the AHCI OROM display if Windows was installed in AHCI mode and then changed to RAID mode, because the RAID driver does not load. That is why Windows doesn't boot.

But I just noticed that your board has three SATA controllers, the Intel, a Marvell, and JMicron JMB362. I'm guessing that the AHCI OROM screen belongs to the Marvell or JMicron SATA controllers.

Any drives connected to those controllers/SATA ports?

Comment

Hi, I don't think the AHCI rom belongs to the other controllers because I have them disabled, you can see the screenshots attached. The boot drive is attached to SATA 0 port that I think is mapped to the Intel controller.Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-11 10.12.47.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	754834

Comment

Bios screenshotClick image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-11 10.13.16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	754835

Comment

When I flashed the bios I used Q flash, do I need to flash it from DOS in order to update oroms? Maybe the oroms were not updated using Gigabyte's Q flash.

Comment

Yes, it looks like the other SATA controllers are disabled and you are using the Intel SATA ports.

I see the first boot device is set to USB-FDD, is that what you need?

You need to check with the person that modded the BIOS for you about which update method you must use. That person should know if there is an AHCI OROM in the BIOS, but it sounds like only the RAID OROM was updated.

I still wonder if two Intel OROMs exist in the BIOS, but maybe at the time when your board was new, that was required.

Comment

Working...
                  X