ocz vertex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocz vertex

thinking about buying a drive like this, I watched a you tube video and it looked impressive. Would it work I my system? How much of an improvement?

OCZ Vertex 460 480GB SATA III 6 0Gb s 2 5" Internal Solid State Drive New | eBay

Re: ocz vertex

Since I see you don't have an SSD, you will be amazed at the speed improvement, both in boot time and general performance.
    Personally I favor the Samung EVO 850, but irrespective of product, you will need migration SW unless you plan a clean install and about that. It comes with some SSD packages but not others.

-If its been a while, I recommend a clean install.
    -At least run CCCleaner before and after the clone process if used.
    -W7 is remarkably good at updating itself.
    -Make sure you set the SSD to work with AHCI (not IDE) and connect to 1 or the 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Intel connectors (your other 4 are 3.0 Gb/s).

Comment

Permanent storage (HDD, USB flash drives) is the slowest part of a PC. Anything to speed it up makes a big difference, and a SSD is the best storage system we now have.

A SSD will be compatible with your board, no problem at all. The majority of SSDs are SATA drives just like any HDD, but that is the only common factor they have.

You could do better on the price of a 480GB - 512GB SSD. The Vertex 460 model is classified EOL (End Of Life) by OCZ, replaced by the 460A model, which can be had for less here:

OCZ Vertex 460A VTX460A-25SAT3-480G 2.5" 480GB SATA 3 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Comment

What are the disadvantages of going with a solid state hard drive?

Comment

Originally posted by asrockuser1 View Post
          Disadvantages? SSD cost per GB versus hard drive cost per GB of storage.

As with any hardware purchase, you need to do a lot of homework and become a knowledgeable consumer.

Even with my older P35 and P45 systems, installing ssd O/S boot drives was far and away the best upgrade for a significant performance improvement and bang for the buck.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by asrockuser1 View Post
            Becoming worried that you must baby and configure the PC around the SSD.

Shutting off anything you can do without (or even may need) that writes to an SSD used as an OS drive, like Windows Indexing and Search, to prevent it from "wearing out".

OCD checking if TRIM is enabled in the OS (always is by default in Windows 7 and later versions.)

Endlessly running benchmark programs to "verify" the performance of the SSD, which negates any write wear out savings that was configured, and actually causes more writes than the things turned off.

Adopting the belief that a SSD will always perform exactly as it did on day one, out of the box and empty.

Believing that the marketing specs on the SSD box will always be reached on every PC, ignoring the magic words, "Up to...", and becoming depressed when the SSD is "slow".

Not treating a SSD as if it is just a storage device that should be used as the owner chooses, without worrying about it failing, because it won't fail any more than any other storage device. Actually, the SSD will fail less often than HDDs IMO. Try shipping SSDs and HDDs from New York to Los Angeles, in the same box, and see which device fails most often.

Being so forever spoiled by a SSD that using a HDD, particularly for the OS drive, becomes so distasteful that you can't use them anymore. (This is me!)

Personally, I would rather use any SSD on a SATA I interface than a "SATA III" HDD on a SATA III interface. The former system would be faster than the latter by a significant amount.

Comment

Working...
            X