Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

I've just finished installing a fresh Win10 pro 64bit onto my new build with GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard. Everything fine so far except no sign of any USB3 ports or controllers in device manager. No additions when I plug USB pendrive or CD into the ports. USB2 ports are OK.

This seems to be a common problem with Giga MBs but most of the solutions are with Win7/8/8.1, and involve drivers for these. This board seems quite new and GigaByte have only released LAN and Audio updates so far for this board for Win10. I installed those. Only one chipset driver from the MB install CD wasn't OS version specific. I installed that Marvell GSATA AHCI. There rest are for win8 or 8.1. I am a bit weary of trying those for the moment.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on this, or do I just hassle GigaByte or VIA for some win 10 drivers.

Re: Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

Latest VIA driver is V4.90A ,as for R4/4.1.

No specific driver for Win10 yet.

Comment

I tried that. The setup program barfed and said it couldn't find any hardware or something. Anyway I got it working another way. Don't know why, but this does work...

I shutdown, unplugged the USB connector for the case fascia USB3 from the MB, leaving only the onboard USBs connected. Then on restart, windows detected these, installed its USB3 standard MS drivers and they worked. Then I shutdown again, plugged the fascia USB3 connector back into the MB. On restart, it detected these also. Now all USB ports work.

My theory is that windows 10 on this MB cannot detect both sets of USB3s if they are initially BOTH connected. Must be some conflict. However, if you install with just the onboard one, it detects that, then adding the 2nd set later, it will recognise that too. I proved it by doing a re-doing a fresh win10 install without the fascia USB3 connector connected. Connect the 2nd set once the initial USB3 drivers been added for the onboard set and you are fine.

Weird, but worth a try if anyone has multiple USB3 connections and windows cant recognise them.

Comment

Originally posted by Woracle View Post
        I tried that. The setup program barfed and said it couldn't find any hardware or something. Anyway I got it working another way. Don't know why, but this does work...

I shutdown, unplugged the USB connector for the case fascia USB3 from the MB, leaving only the onboard USBs connected. Then on restart, windows detected these, installed its USB3 standard MS drivers and they worked. Then I shutdown again, plugged the fascia USB3 connector back into the MB. On restart, it detected these also. Now all USB ports work.

My theory is that windows 10 on this MB cannot detect both sets of USB3s if they are initially BOTH connected. Must be some conflict. However, if you install with just the onboard one, it detects that, then adding the 2nd set later, it will recognise that too. I proved it by doing a re-doing a fresh win10 install without the fascia USB3 connector connected. Connect the 2nd set once the initial USB3 drivers been added for the onboard set and you are fine.

Weird, but worth a try if anyone has multiple USB3 connections and windows cant recognise them.
        I had exactly same problem after updating Windows 10 to April's 2018 1803 version. My motherboard is the same but rev. 4.0.

I just registered to thank you! :)

At the beginning I didn't know that to disconnect, so here is a photo (for other guys like me :D). I disconnected F_USB3, rebooted PC and connected it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180502_151051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	755193

Comment

Working...
        X