Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
    4GB RAM (2x2GB) PC2-6400
    750 Watts PSU
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
    SATA 120GB SSD disk #1
    SATA 2TB disk #2
    IDE DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bits

I was very happy with my config until I decided to upgrade the RAM from 4GB (2x2GB) to 8GB (2x4GB).

This mobo supports 8GB maximum as specified on ASRock website:
    ASRock > G31M-S R2.0

Within this document from the ASRock website, several references of DDR2 4GB modules compatible with ASRock G31M-S R2.0 mobo are listed:

As everybody knows, it is very difficult to find 4GB DDR2 modules, especially if you are hunting against a specific reference, but I was enough lucky to find and buy two modules totally new (sealed boxes) officially supported by my mobo:
    (label on the boxes)
    Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G
    4GB PC2-6400 CL6 240-Pin DIMM

Yes, you guessed right, it does not work...

Symptoms:
    - boot with 1x4GB (module 4GB #1): does not work at all! (no beep, no POST, nothing...)
    - boot with 1x4GB (module 4GB #2): does not work at all! (no beep, no POST, nothing...)
    - boot with 2x4GB (both 4GB modules): does not work at all! (no beep, no POST, nothing...)
    - boot with 1x2GB+1x4GB (module #1 or #2, same behaviour): 2048MB at POST display, and when I enter BIOS: 2GB module is recognized as 2048MB and 4GB module is recognized as 2MB!!!

When I start PC with 2GB+4GB modules:
    - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits system recognizes only 2GB amount of RAM (4GB module is not used),
    - CPU-Z (last version 1.73.0.x64) finds both 2GB and 4GB RAM modules (logs ok, see txt file),
    - memtest86+ (last version 5.0.1) finds both 2GB and 4GB RAM modules (all the tests run ok).

It seems to me the two 4GB modules are ok, but the BIOS cannot handle them properly.
    Is there any beta BIOS handling 4GB modules as specified by official specs of the mobo?
    Does anybody have any idea about what I missed?

Thanks,

Vince
    Attached Files

Re: ASRock G31M-S R2.0: problems handling 8GB RAM as specified

Did you made a cmos reset after installing the 4GB modules?
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Originally posted by SandsOfTime View Post
      Did you made a cmos reset after installing the 4GB modules?
      Yes, I cleared CMOS, then set RAM voltage manually to 1.8V and finally increased the NB voltage... nothing happened.
      Last edited by Vince_; 09-13-2015, 06:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hmm, this reminds me of a GSkill 2x2GB kit I had some years ago. One year later I bought another kit with exactly the same name, but they didn't work together and were recognized by the bios sometimes yes, somtimes no. Finally I found out the reason: the older kit had internally 1 rank and the newer kit had 2 ranks.

Maybe this is the same problem with your kit. Although it has the same name that is on the compatibility list for your motherboard, it could have another internal configuration that makes it incompatible with your motherboard.
        Last edited by SandsOfTime; 09-13-2015, 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
        ---
        Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Originally posted by SandsOfTime View Post
          Hmm, this reminds me of a GSkill 2x2GB kit I had some years ago. One year later I bought another kit with exactly the same name, but they didn't work together and were recognized by the bios sometimes yes, somtimes no. Finally I found out the reason: the older kit had internally 1 rank and the newer kit had 2 ranks.

Maybe this is the same problem with your kit. Although it has the same name that is on the compatibility list for your motherboard, it could have another internal configuration that makes it incompatible with your motherboard.
          If it is the case, I cannot do anything!

Comment

Dear Vince_

Due to Intel of G31 chipset limitation, G31M-S R2.0 support single-sided memory DIMM up to 2GB(256MB per chip).
            ASRock > G31M-S R2.0
            Please check whether your 4GB memory is doubled-sided or single-sided with memory vendor.

In order to maximize the system memory, please install 4GB memory module with 16 cells or 2GB memory modules with at least 8 cells.
            4GB with 16 cells:http://www.asrock.com/mb/images/RAMDoubleSide.png
            2GB with 8 cells:http://www.asrock.com/mb/images/RAMSingleSide.png

Best wishes
            ASRockTSD
            Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
              Dear Vince_

Due to Intel of G31 chipset limitation, G31M-S R2.0 support single-sided memory DIMM up to 2GB(256MB per chip).
              ASRock > G31M-S R2.0
              Please check whether your 4GB memory is doubled-sided or single-sided with memory vendor.

In order to maximize the system memory, please install 4GB memory module with 16 cells or 2GB memory modules with at least 8 cells.
              4GB with 16 cells:http://www.asrock.com/mb/images/RAMDoubleSide.png
              2GB with 8 cells:http://www.asrock.com/mb/images/RAMSingleSide.png

Best wishes
              ASRockTSD
              Eddy
              http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR800D2N6_4G.pdf
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi Eddy,

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
                Dear Vince_
                ASRock > G31M-S R2.0
                Would you mean the official ASRock documentation (http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/G31M-S%20R2.0.pdf) is wrong about 8GB max RAM possible and the various 4GB modules supported?
                The memory modules I bought are definitively double-sided 4GB modules, bought because listed in ASRock'QVL.

Comment

Working...
                X