Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z77 Extreme6/TB4 not booting from any drive. Suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme6/TB4 not booting from any drive. Suggestions.

I have a number of drives in my system with different boot configurations for a variety of tasks. The other day I was moving some data round trying to copy a project from my server down to my main to work with and it wasn't coping the files over VERY slow and then halted to copy. I did a few things thought (heart attack) server drive array was playing choke and puke, checked on the server and everything there was fine so I rebooted the main system and that is where the trouble started. The Windows 8.1 startup image came up but nothing else no spinning under the image. So I tried one of my other boot drives and the same thing. SO I tried an old boot and it was saying startup repair but after about 30 minutes I get a black screen and a mouse cursor is all. So I pulled out my Windows to Go drive, plugged it into my USB 3 and tried to boot off of it and I get the Windows 8.1 startup icon and the spinning under it just never stops. I let it sit like that for about 15 minutes and it didn't boot. At that point I just said to hell with it and unplugged the system and put off the project for now.

So I know that I'm going to have to do some basics but I'm thinking that I could get into BIOS just fine and it IDs the drives just fine but doesn't want to boot off of anything that there is probably something wrong with the system board. If after resetting bios, disconnecting all the drives, removing all the ram and putting in a stick from another working system as well as booting with the onboard video and it still won't boot off my Windows to GO, wouldn't that then indicate that the system board is bad.

Is there anything else I should test?

Re: Z77 Extreme6/TB4 not booting from any drive. Suggestions.

Bah it is a bad drive bringing the whole works down :(

Comment

Re: Z77 Extreme6/TB4 not booting from any drive. Suggestions.

Good that you figured it out, because I tried to follow all that you typed in your first post, and..... , well..... I had a headache afterwards
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
      X