X99M 3.1 memory problem with BIOS V1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X99M 3.1 memory problem with BIOS V1.3

I've just built myself a new PC based on the ASRock X99M 3.1 mATX motherboard with a i7-5820K CPU and 32GB of Kingston HyperX memory (kit HX426C15FBK4/32)

One of the first things I did was go into the BIOS and check how everything looked, the BIOS was V1.0 so I updated it to the latest version (V1.30).

I then proceeded to install Windows 10 and had various problems, but eventually got it installed, but upon logging in I kept having problems, Windows would collect data and I presume send it off with a very short error message - these generally varied and were typical of memory/driver problems.

I then noticed that I only had 24GB of memory showing, and going into the BIOS also showed this - slot D1 was showing as empty. I checked the memory was seated correctly and it was, but it still only showed the three sticks.

So then I took out D1 and swapped it with C1, but it stilled showed that D1 was empty, so I was now thinking it was a motherboard fault.

Then I decided to try the backup BIOS, this was still at V1 and showed all four slots populated with memory, I tried several reboots and every time it showed a complete set of memory.

Switching back to BIOS A shows only three slots populated, even after multiple reboots, back to BIOS B and everything is OK again.

So this clearly seems to be BIOS related, anybody got any suggestions? As I would prefer to be running the latest BIOS as it improves over clocking compatibility.

Is it OK to flash BIOS A back to and earlier version so I can see how that performs?

PS. Full build log can be found here.
    Last edited by Ronski; 12-28-2015, 08:32 AM. Reason: Added link to build log

Re: X99M 3.1 memory problem with BIOS V1.3

hi iv build a few 2011 3 systems..
    once i came across a asrock 2011 extreme 4 board same cpu king 16g ram 4x4g

the first time i put in the ram it only saw 3 sticks from 4, i tested ram ok, i even rotated ram, no go.

then i tested 1 tick only, ok work in what i thought fault slot, app was not faulty7, then i plug ram in other slots, ok, it detected now... so please chk 1 stick at a time, trying each slot.

its not bios, (i updated too) v1 to 1.3, dont forget to set ram timmings to auto as well as do a clear cmos chk.
    9 irealy thaught i had first a bad stick, then a bad ram slot a1, then after playing around, i fix it. try resting ram too, it a bit fussy.

im currenty building a sim setup same sim setup asrock too same cpu diff ram, see link with pictures.
    [Worklog] New gaming pc x99 950,850x3 etc.. v21 Thermaltake case - Overclockers Australia Forums

Last edited by terrabyteone; 04-03-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, simply switching to using the backup BIOS B (V1.0) and all sticks are visible and working fine. Switch to BIOS A (v1.3) and one stick disappears. This is repeatable and always the same slot, so it can't be a faulty slot or faulty stick, it has to be related to the BIOS as it's the only thing that changes.

I've also tried reseating the sticks and swapping sticks around, it is always the same slot that disappears and ONLY when using BIOS A.

I will recheck ram timings, but I'm sure they are set to auto.

Comment

I just flashed to BIOS V1.1 and that works fine, all memory is recognised. I've used the option from within the BIOS to email tech support and see what they say.

Comment

I'm very impressed with ASRock's support, emailed them yesterday from within the BIOS and today I received BIOS V1.34 which solves the problem. Currently stress testing at 4.9Ghz at 1.31v at 63 degrees

CPU-Z VALIDATOR

Comment

great cant see beta bios in website, dloadlink? im using 1.30, wonder if it supp support 950 m2 in bios detection etc
            Last edited by terrabyteone; 01-01-2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

p.s wt seting did you set for oclock.... is their a way to share oc profiles?

Comment

For the overclock I used the 4.4Ghz preset then just upped the multi to 49, but it's not 100% stable. I'm a complete novice at overclocking, and it's been a long time since I last overclocked a CPU which is my current PC (i5 750). I think there is something going on that I'm missing, I can run AIDA64 stress test for almost 2 hours at 4.9Ghz then I get a crash. After this I get repeated crashes even if dropping the multi, I then seem to need to clear the CMOS and start again. I'm now trying Realbench and that seems to induce a crash quicker which might speed up the process.

I take it from your post that the 950 M2 isn't currently detected by the BIOS? I am planning on getting one when funds permit.
                Last edited by Ronski; 01-02-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

use linx stress tester in windows. last page at end of posts.

disable page file, use 70% of your ram etc. disable anti virus

it test you ct 110% using all of the extra mmx sse extensions instructions etc. use the asrck monitor software keep live results of temp/cpu/voltages only.

LinX - A simple Linpack interface - Page 37

LinX 0.6.5-11.3.0

Simple File Sharing and Storage.

- update with latest Intel Linpack binaries (ver. 11.3.0.006)

2nd from the latest but it support our cpu fully. intel data install allreadyok, def cpu stree test done 16 hours.

1. no internet/antivirus, quit all programs, run linx program (disable page file) set ram usage to 70% of your ram.

8 hour test will give you 120% curtain stem oc ok. (cpu/ram/mbnly)
                  5 hours 100%

less is good just to get your setting ok.

dont forget to test ram first, to make sure it set ok, (it helps not to overclock ram, when testing best oc setting for cpu first.)

remember you have 3 option to do

1. test stability when cpu at 100% for say 3 hours,
                  2. test stability when cpu is idel at 0% for 3 hours (can crash when doing nothing)
                  3. make sure spreed spectrum in bios is off.
                  4. disable all c support in bios (let cpu run at max oc speed) you can turn on c stuff later most of the c stuff is slowing down cpu to 1.6ghz etc..., c7 is zero wait state power on sleep etc...
                  5. for testing you have 2 cpu saftey feature in bios, 1. in internal cpu shutdown if it get 100% dec) and option is to throttle cpu slowerif it get max saftey running temp

it recommended for now to turn this off, so if you set your cpu oc to 4.9g when heat builds up, it wont automatically lower your clock speed back to default.

thats a failed overclock, because it wont rash/lockup pc, but its running back at default cpu speed insted of running faster.

(this happen for many first newbes doing the 2500k etc)sorry keyboard prob..

if you turn that bios temp option off (only that one) ,it wont slow cpu down , it just crash/lockup it it overheats (no dmg to cpu)

or you have to keep a eye on cpupeed in the asrock program, li while stress testing, to see if you oc 4.9 drops down to 3.3 etc.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I've upload BIOS v1.34 for you.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

One other thing I've found is that I can't control the speed of fans connected to CPU fan 1, I have 3 pin fans on both CPU Fan 1 & 2 and can only adjust the speed of fan 2. The BIOS clearly implies it should adjust the speed of both. Is this also the case on your setup.

Comment

I thought I'd just update this thread, I had the disappearing memory problem a few more times and I'm pretty certain it's related to loading the XMP Memory Profile in the BIOS. Since I've stopped doing this the problem has not returned. I now have the PC running stable at 4.5Ghz and the temperatures within limits. I'm also running my Samsung 950 Pro M2 and it's working perfectly :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X