Z97-a Feature??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97-a Feature??

I just completed a new build, which is exhibiting an odd quirk.

When I first push the power button, it lights for an instant and goes out. At the same time the CPU fan also spins for an instant, then stops. At this point the case fans continue to spin normally, and the mobo goes through a sequence where each led warning light, one by one, turns on and then off. Warning lights, in order are dram, cpu, vga, and boot.Once this sequence is complete, the cpu fan and case power led both come back on, and the computer boots normally. This happens on every cold boot, but not on a restart.

My question is, is this normal? What seems to be happening is that the mobo is doing a series of self tests before the computer is allowed to boot. Similar to the old "beeps." But I've never seen the cpu stop or the case light go out on any other computer. The whole sequence only takes a few seconds, and the computer seems to be operating fine otherwise. So, is this a feature of the Z97-a? There is nothing in the manual about it. And the only reference to the warning led's is that if there is a problem they will light up and stay lit. Mine light and go out.

Thanks.

Asus Z97-a
    Intel i5-4590
    8 gb ram
    Thermaltake tr2, 700w psu
    Last edited by Dachay2tnr; 06-01-2016, 10:33 AM.

Re: Z97-a Feature??

Originally posted by Dachay2tnr View Post
    I just completed a new build, which is exhibiting an odd quirk.

When I first push the power button, it lights for an instant and goes out. At the same time the CPU fan also spins for an instant, then stops. At this point the case fans continue to spin normally, and the mobo goes through a sequence where each led warning light, one by one, turns on and then off. Warning lights, in order are dram, cpu, vga, and boot.Once this sequence is complete, the cpu fan and case power led both come back on, and the computer boots normally. This happens on every cold boot, but not on a restart.

My question is, is this normal? What seems to be happening is that the mobo is doing a series of self tests before the computer is allowed to boot. Similar to the old "beeps." But I've never seen the cpu stop or the case light go out on any other computer. The whole sequence only takes a few seconds, and the computer seems to be operating fine otherwise. So, is this a feature of the Z97-a? There is nothing in the manual about it. And the only reference to the warning led's is that if there is a problem they will light up and stay lit. Mine light and go out.

Thanks.

Asus Z97-a
    Intel i5-4590
    8 gb ram
    Thermaltake tr2, 700w psu
    SOLVED

Turns out this is NOT normal behavior. However clearing CMOS fixed it (unplug power cord and remove battery for 15 seconds).

Comment

Working...
    X