RAM stick combinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM stick combinations

I posted this question in a different forum and received a strange answer. I thought I would try my luck here. I have an Asus X99 Deluxe II mobo, 8 memory slots, max of 128 gigs and currently have 32 gigs using four slots, 4x8gb. If and when I upgrade RAM is it permissible to install 16gb sticks in the four remaining slots for a total of 96? I ask, clearly - because I don't know if having 8gb sticks in slots A1, B1, C1 and D1 means 8gb sticks must also be in A2, B2, C2 and D2 or if the system will allow for a mix and let me put 16gb sticks in all the 2 positions with 8gb in the 1 positions.

I hope this question makes sense. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me with this issue. Incidentally, the strange answer I received previously (which doesn't mean I'm saying is wrong) was first to ask me why on earth I would want to upgrade from 32gb? And second, it was ill-advised since more RAM, for "me," is in all probability useless. I never stated what I use the computer for. Lastly, I was advised that filling all the memory slots would effectively REDUCE the performance of my system. I will admit, the last statement bewilders me, as it seems tantamount to saying if I get larger hard drives I won't be able to store as much data, But, what do I know?

Thanks again for any assistance.
Working...
X