Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots before post/video - no video/bios visible (wont post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots before post/video - no video/bios visible (wont post)

hi i originally posted this on a gigabyte forum but so far have not received any tips
    i will post the main and 2 additional updates hope someone has some ideas for me

thanks in advance

hi guys, could really use some help
    i moved my system to a much larger full tower case for extra drive space and a few other perks plus lots of space

x99-ud3 mobo 5820k intel - corsair ddr4

psu is oversized for present equipment has plenty of power

the system was working flawlessly until I moved it to the new case!!!

now all i get is fan spinup and attempt to boot 5 seconds then reboot
    its an endless cycle like many had on these boards from the early bad bios's

i don't have a case speaker sadly and the new case didn't come with one oddly enough

the motherboard seems to be working fine, i even put the f22 bios on a usb and the amber light flashed a few minutes then went solid - since i'd just moved to f22 from f20 a week I used the qflash to downgrade the bios
    the rewritten f22 and f20 bios do the same exact thing - power for 5seconds then reboot
    some had reported that their systems would eventually boot after many cycles so i left it 10 minutes and nothing
    usb keyboard never gets power so it doesn't get to that step

i removed all connections all sata everything but the xfx video card and tried and nothing
    reseated all power connections
    all standoffs are correct and screws in them no grounding that i can see or issues

i'm wondering if the video card died turning the transplant possibly?

does anyone have any diagnostic steps I can take - i dont have another vid card and there is no onboard video on these

i even hooked up the power switch on the old case to the mother board to make sure the new cases switch was jammed
    i disconnected all reset/hdd light usb usb3 sata etc from mobo and still can't get it to boot

i can order a speaker as so far i haven't found one here though i may have one
    are there audible diagnostic beeps that might help?

motherboard flashes bios (or so it seems) perfectly

have lots of tech experience but i'm not sure what else i can do at present
    i'm hoping someone has some ideas for me or ran into this problem

i presume that if the vid card died somehow that would stop it form posting?

i pulled the cmos battery and pulled power and hit power button to try to drain mobo to reset cmos
    did not try to jumper cmos reset pins but i can try that if it works better than what i did with battery - let me know

im in a high humidity area so i do not think there was/is risk of static discharge here

the cpu was left on motherboard for transplant - cooler is plugged into motherboard

i'm stumped - i've got a hunch this vid card mighta took a dive but the odds are low
    i reseated the vid card to the second pci area just in case with no luck
    any help is much appreciated thank you sincerely

ps I could move it back to the old case just for kicks if you think it will help but its a lot of work plus having disconnected everything from the motherboard and even using the old cases power switch as a test didn't do anything for me

Re: moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots - no video/bios visible NEED HELPReply #1

additional notes:
    in the meantime i pulled the battery and shorted the cmos pins - same boot loop

also another note - when i did the qflash bios the fans and system stayed on the entire time during the update procedure as i presume the system should do then the amber light went solid - motherboard seems to be OK at least this aspect

put xfx video card back into original slot

any help please post...thank you again

Re: moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots - no video/bios visible NEED HELPReply #2 on:

moved mobo back to old case hoping maybe i missed something on new case
    same boot cycle
    none of this makes any sense
    i did reflash the bios a few times as indicated in earlier post using qflash from bios usb plug and the motherboard is seeing the drive and updating properly with flashing of amber light then going solid after a few minutes

i did find a larger vintage case speaker maybe 1 inch or 1.5 inches and hooked it up to the mobo but i get no beeping or audio
    its an old speaker but looks to be in good condition and i do hear a bit of a hum when powering on but no beeps

really need any input
    thanks
    Last edited by macexperts; 08-03-2017, 11:16 PM. Reason: error

Re: moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots before post/video - no video/bios visible (wont post)

breadboarded system with nothing connected but cpu/cooler/power/vidcard and vid cable and same endless boot looping after 5 seconds

, reflashed bios again - removed ram....
    the only thing i've not looked at is the cpu/pins but since i didn't remove them or the cooler i presume they are fine - if anyone knows differently please advise

i've seen countless posts about this boot loop issue but really no idea what is triggering it

DOES ANYONE KNOW if Qflash could work or appear to work on a MOBO that is toast otherwise?

had moved to f22 bios release which is relatively new like a week ago and honestly don't recall if i booted after that update again in the meantime but it did double boot after flashing bios to f22 and the new bios was radically altered from the earlier ones requiring full reprogramming in bios (no big deal but having this boot loop issue now makes me suspicious if this new f22 caused some issue - even though i've used to qflash to rewrite it several times and reverted to f20 with same boot looping issue)

new battery for cmos, cmos reset, battery removal also for cmos reset..reset with battery out as well

still looking for input if anyone can think of anything, thanks

Comment

Re: moved x99-ud3 system starts up then reboots before post/video - no video/bios visible (wont post)

Welcome to the forum.

Have you removed all of the psu cables and inspected both ends of each cable to see if there are any problems with the connectors? Ideally you would test your system with another psu that is known to be good.

Can you borrow a video card from a friend or test your video card in a friend's system?

Make sure that your old case speaker works in a friend's system.

Does your motherboard have a physical switch that lets you boot from the main or backup bios chip?

Try booting with a minimal hardware setup with your motherboard sitting on a large book or cardboard box outside of and beside your computer case. Do not put an anti-static bag under your motherboard during this test. No mouse, only one memory module and no other cables or wires for other devices such as speaker connections. Your goal at this point is to be able to boot into the bios, nothing more.

With your motherboard out of the case, carefully inspect the top and bottom sides to see if there are any signs of scratches, cracks or any signs of burnt motherboard components. Make sure that the cpu cooler is secure and that there is no damage to all of the motherboard mounting holes. Also check carefully for any loose screws or washers are resting on the motherboard and are causing a short circuit.

I've seen many problems eliminated when clearing the bios, with the psu A.C. power cable disconnected, needed to be cleared for 20 minutes, several hours and sometimes for 12 to 24 hours.

There is a troubleshooting flowchart near the back of your motherboard user manual. Use this as a checklist to make sure that you haven't skipped any steps.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

hi ProfJim , thanks for taking time reply and really go over my problem!! - i put >>> and to see my replies from your Q's - appreciate your time trying to help

Have you removed all of the psu cables and inspected both ends of each cable to see if there are any problems with the connectors? Ideally you would test your system with another psu that is known to be good. >>>>YES- psu is a few months old, just in case i tested with a spare which is known good and not modular - same results, MOBO gets power fans power up etc just boot cycles

Can you borrow a video card from a friend or test your video card in a friend's system? >>>>don't have a spare GPU but may buy a cheap one to see - this thought was on my mind as well - i don't know anyone offhand who has a card at present - i may just buy a new MOBO rather than put anything into a GPU that will not be used (since I can't buy a good AMD GPU at present due to the bitcoin/cryptocurrency users having bought out the entire supply chain) and save it for a spare or build another system on it - i do know one person who may have an old gpu board around but havent reached him yet - I could try to goto a shop and see if they'd mind swapping some components but for what they would likely charge i could just buy the MOBO and start there and RMA this one (since the RMA process apparently takes a long time and i'd like to get this system up asap)

Make sure that your old case speaker works in a friend's system. >>>>this case speaker hums with power but its rather large..waiting on a small piezo sized speaker just in case - do not hear any sound (or beeps) other than the hum of power which you can hear during each cycle

Does your motherboard have a physical switch that lets you boot from the main or backup bios chip? >>>no switch on this mobo but there is a start procedure for gigabyte board that I tried to invoke backup BIOS and it didn't seem to help but not sure if it even worked since i can't even get to video out - also I reflashed BIOS using its QFLASH procedure and by the flashing lights it seems it does take the BIOS update - reverted to prior BIOS and to latest just in case - did this several times - reset CMOS, put in new battery, shorted cmos reset jumper with battery out and no power to MOBO etc. pulled all RAM during BIOS update (as per some suggestions even though official instructions do not mention this ) - each time it always takes the BIOS cycle properly according to MB manuf. instructions

Try booting with a minimal hardware setup with your motherboard sitting on a large book or cardboard box outside of and beside your computer case. Do not put an anti-static bag under your motherboard during this test. No mouse, only one memory module and no other cables or wires for other devices such as speaker connections. Your goal at this point is to be able to boot into the bios, nothing more. <<<<<<I breadboarded this unit a few times on cardboard box with just power and GPU installed (necessary since no onboard Graphics) and jumpered the power pins and same boot cycling - also updated the BIOS with Qflash while breadboarded - reset cmos etc. new cmos battery - had nothing on board other than power to cpu and cpu cooler, power to mb, gpu and gpu power - psu power plugged in and 1 cable on video card

With your motherboard out of the case, carefully inspect the top and bottom sides to see if there are any signs of scratches, cracks or any signs of burnt motherboard components. Make sure that the cpu cooler is secure and that there is no damage to all of the motherboard mounting holes. Also check carefully for any loose screws or washers are resting on the motherboard and are causing a short circuit. <<<<<<<motherboard surface looks fine - i saw one area that looked like it might have something metallic showing on reverse side and took an eyeloop to it to examine under magnification it was some surface smudge that disappeared with a quick wipe - the rest of the board top and bottom look fine, no blown caps, i can't see any damage - pcie sockets look great - no screws nothing on mobo --- cooler is still mounted and I have no removed it - I don't have paste on hand at present to remount it to the CPU - I did not remove the CPU/cpu cooler at all during board movement so I don't believe any of the pins on the mobo could be damaged unless the original install caused something and moving the board slightly might have invoked a disconnect but the odds of that are low as the system was very solid previously - Do you think it's truly necessary to pull the cooler and CPU to inspect the mobo pins even thought I never removed them? mounting holes are all fine and no cracks anywhere

I've seen many problems eliminated when clearing the bios, with the psu A.C. power cable disconnected, needed to be cleared for 20 minutes, several hours and sometimes for 12 to 24 hours. >>>>i have reset CMOS, battery is replaced with new (old had right near 3.0v just like the new one) - i haven't left the battery out for 12 or 24 hours but I have pulled it and left it out for a while and jumpered the CMOS clear pins - is it possible cmos won't clear even with pins shorted?

There is a troubleshooting flowchart near the back of your motherboard user manual. Use this as a checklist to make sure that you haven't skipped any steps. >>>for a relatively higher end board this manual is pretty bad it references using QFLASH in 'chapter 5' but they left out chapter 5 entirely and end at chapter 4 - had to goto their website to find proper Qflash procedure - others on the web have advised extra steps like pulling ram etc during Qflash so I tried that to no avail just in case - always end up with this quick power on then restart issue and BIOS flashing with Qflash follows same correct light pattern with ram and without [/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea if the rest of the motherboard could have some issues if the QFLASH works - during QFLASH BIOS updating the fans stay on and the system doesn't try to reboot itself everything keeps running as the motherboard does its work (but no video output during this time)

right now i'm leaning towards these conclusions - 1.) the motherboard is toast even though the Qflash works and it seems alive and does try to startup (no one even on gigabyte forums replied to this question so I just don't know I presume it's possible that Qflash is a circuit all it's own however it does have to read through USB but it seems to be oriented on a single USB so maybe its its own subsystem 2.) the GPU went bad during case swap and the motherboard attempts to boot and doesn't see the GPU or GPU doesn't ack properly - since its x99 no onboard video so that is where the boot process stops and attempts restart only to repeat the boot cycling- however the GPU fan does turn on when mobo power switch is invoked and it appears to power up so I don't know about this - the GPU fan shuts first then the case fans and cpu cooler fans shut next and restarts - with the first higher end power supply you hear it power cycle internally (internal psu fan control i think makes a click on that one) as well lesser possibilities that come to mind --- seems unlikely but could cpu have died somehow? this seems very remote, ram died (unlikely have tried with various assortments in different slots - have 4 4gb)

i will try to see if i can find a gpu to borrow in the meantime - if i cannot do you suggest just getting a new MOBO and rma the other for repair?
        a cheapie vid card would run around 40 bucks if i cannot source one but would have to be shipped same as motherboard as local sources really don't exist even in a big city these days (at least not here)
        open to any ideas really and thanks again

Comment

i tried flashing the BIOS again with Qflash this time with CPU power pulled
          it does the same update procedure with solid to flashing to solid - the only difference i noticed was the single case fan on the mobo it shut off this time but the cpu cooler was still turning and the GPU fan kept going during the update process

also i noted that when the power is shutoff at the PSU for a short time (to stop the boot cycling) the motherboard seems to still have enough power to remember where it was in the cycle because when i turn the psu back in it'll go back into its boot cycle (rebooting every 3 to 5 seconds) without hitting the power button - if you leave the psu off for longer you can turn it on and the motherboard will not still be trying to boot cycle on it's own

pulled all ram again and just 1 stick to the 2nd slot (per mobo manual for single dimm)and booted after f20 bios update via Qflash

i saw another post with a very similar giga board boot cycling and he had a spare GPU and it didn't help...unfortunately he didn't post again and a followup post had another fellow who could only boot with battery out and was having BIOS issues but did at least POST (yes i tried w/o cmos battery just for kicks) i'd still like to try another gpu if i can get my hands on one

my hunch is that the motherboard has some kinda bug or issue - i don't know if thats tied to f22 bios or not (this f22 bios came out in june 2017) but i put f20 back in it with Qflash and unfortunately no results....same boot looping

i may bite the bullet and order a new mobo and rma this one or just rma this one (since i heard the rma is very slow but sometimes my experience goes smoothly verses others)

still waiting on a video card - friend is checking his stash - i couldn't find one in mine regrettably

ANY AND ALL IDEAS OR INPUT WANTED feel free to toss me any ideas and thanks again ProfJim and anyone who can help....leaving cmos battery out for tonight and will see if some long drain on MOBO helps

Comment

left cmos out for the night - didn't help just same boot cycling

Comment

have isolated to motherboard fault of unknown designation in case anyone see's similar - it does appear that the bios qflash circuit can update even with other parts of the board having issues
              Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X