Video editing SSD questions, ASRock z170 pro 4s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video editing SSD questions, ASRock z170 pro 4s

Ok, pretty new to everything here, this is the first time I've even looked directly at a motherboard much less thought about plugging things into it that the factory didn't already. So, with that caveat:

I'm messing around with video editing at home. I bought a tower with the ASRock mobo referenced above. My issue is that it came with an itsy-bitsy 128GB SSD as the c: drive. It does have a 2TB HDD however for storage.

My understanding about video editing is that you want the video files and whatever 'optimized media' your chosen video editing software creates to be on the fastest storage drive in order to get the smoothest editing experience. i.e. realtime playback while editing, etc.

I really only have the OS and as few apps/program installed to the c: drive SSD as possible. Thus far I've been putting the few video files and clips onto the c: drive while editing and then moving everything off onto the HDD for storage when done. However, I am finding I only have ~32GB left of free space on the SSD and I'm starting to edit larger projects with more footage/larger files.

I thus went looking for upgrade options. The current c: SSD is, as far as I can tell, plugged into a SATA 3.0 x 1 (I think?) port. There exists on this mobo 3-4 more of these, one more PCIe x 16 (my understanding is for a second GPU?), and then this "Ultra M.2" port that boasts 32 Gb/s speeds. I would really just like to have more storage space that accessible at high enough speeds (read/write?) to use for the video files I'm currently editing. I'm not going to transfer the OS over to it or boot to it....unless I have to?

Looking into M.2 SSDs online (since I think this is going to be the best way to do it?) leads to more questions for me. Will any old M.2 SSD work in this "Ultra M.2" port? What is NVMe and will my mobo or computer be able to utilize an M.2 SSD with this...what, architecture? configuration? There's some mention elsewhere that using this "Ultra M.2" slot takes away lanes from the GPU, will this effect video editing in any way?

Gah! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-- Jake

Re: Video editing SSD questions, ASRock z170 pro 4s

Puget Systems builds and sells high end workstations for different types of software. Their Adobe Premier Pro models sell for $4300 or $4500 which only includes the hardware in the computer case. Both of these models come with the following "basic" recommendations:
    • Hard Drive: 512GB for SSD for OS and software
    • Second Hard Drive: 512GB for SSD for project files, scratch, & media cache
    Their recommendations include Asus or Gigabyte X99 motherboards and use higher end cpu's. Their basic configurations come with a GTX 1070 video card. I don't knw how much a higher end video card would help performance with your somewhat less expensive system.

I think that adding two new 500GB hard drives would be ideal for your system, but if you need to save some money, buy a 250GB ssd for the O/S drive and a 500GB ssd drive that is dedicated to project files, scratch/temporary files and media cache. Your video editing software should be installed on the boot drive. I don't know if the higher performance levels of the NVMe drives will be noticeable with your system. SSD prices have been dropping consistently and performance increase with each new generation. Trying to future proof your system with one or two NVMe drives might not be the best approach unless you have a high end system. If money is really tight, I think that a single 500GB ssd will be an acceptable compromise for the time being.

Here are a few prices from Newegg on August 4, 2017:
    • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM $105.19
    • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM $174.99
    • SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW $127.99
    • SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW $234.00
    • SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P512BW $279.99

Now for some tech info about your system:

Slots:
    • - 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2: x16 mode; PCIE4: x4 mode)*
    • - 3 x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots (Flexible PCIe)
    • - Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™

Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

Storage
    - 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 14 and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
    • 2 x SATA Express 10 Gb/s Connectors*
    • 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*Support to be announced
    If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 will be disabled.

**Supports ASRock U.2 Kit
    Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
    ASRock has a storage support list for your motherboard at ASRock > Z170 Pro4S
    You should ALWAYS buy hardware that is listed in a support list, but you are NOT limited to using ASRock's list. Each ssd manufacturer should have support lists that include specific models that they have tested and found to be compatible with their testing. Motherboard manufacturers do not have the time and resources to frequently update their original support lists. SSD manufacturers would loose many sales if they did not frequently update their compatibility lists. Do not assume that if a manufacturer says "our ssd model supports ALL Z170 motherboards" that this means that your motherboard model has been tested for compatibility.

Here are several links for ssd reviews at Tweaktown:
    TweakTown Storage Content Archive Listing
    TweakTown Storage m.2 SSDs Content Archive Listing - Page 1
    http://www.tweaktown.com/cat/storage/ssds/index.html
    Keep in mind that most ssd's don't excel in every area, some are better as boot drives and some excel in other performance areas.

One final warning:
    1. ALWAYS unplug the power supply's A.C. power cord before you open your computer case.
    2. Then press and hold the computer case's front panel on/off power switch for 15 - 20 seconds to remove residual electrical power inside your system.

Only after both of these steps have been done is it safe to remove or replace hardware.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
    X