incorrect processor to windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incorrect processor to windows

how have i missed tweaktown all these years?!?
    bare with me here.
    i have an msi kt4-vl motherboard and a athlon xp 2400. i was experiencing some random crashes while gaming and updating the bios (to version 1.5)solved that issue, yeah! so the new problem is when i bootup the bios sees my 2400 as an 1800. into bios (ami bios): yep the fsb is at 100, change that up to 133, &left everything else at auto, = system won't even post. check msi website, says 2400 work with 133 fsb and 15 ratio, try that system won't post, just that dumb black screen looking back at me.
    what am i doing wrong. i know its a 2400, it was last week at least!!!
    any help much appreciated

It may help more to know the rest of the case contents (memory & it's ratin' especially) but get into ya BIOS and select "load fail safe defaults" then try again. Ya may want to write down the memory timings both before and after doin' this as well as it may give some hint to ya prob. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

sure sure,
      the ram is DDRAM 512Mb DDR333 PC-2700
      and there is an ati 9700pro

um...im not sure where to find the ram timings in my bios.
      also what happens when i load fail safe deafaults?
      won't it just revert back to ver1.5 bios settings??? ...which is where all the trouble started from.

i'll snoop 'round my system some more and check back here later
      thank you so much!

-mtm

Comment

It doesn't revert ya BIOS version (that will require reflashin' to do) but it does load the slowest values possible so that ya can workout where the problem is. ;)

Comment

okay, restart story.
          when comp assembled it had ver 1.0 of bios on it, and it properly recognized my athlon as a 2400 only it ran game super-crappy. when i update to ver1.5 i lose all my old bios settings but game run good! (which i now realize is may due to new weiner settings). old bios values must have been more agressive.

the more i explore the bios the more i suspect all defaults have been restored. is this a normal upgrade thing, to reset all old values?

i did do load default thing and. . .da-dada-da! exact same settings as post 1.5 upgrade values. now i'm sure it reset all bios values during upgrade. so i guess my new question is whether anybody knows (or has a stable rig) w/ msi kt4vl mobo (ver1.5 amibios) , 512mg 333mghtz speed and athlon xp 2400. if you do i would so much appreciate info on all the timings (fsb, ram speed, ratio, v-core --all that good stuff) in your system and i'll start trying them in mine. within reason here guys, no overclocked beast values.
          i'm just trying to get stable with bios recognizing my true athlon power.

thanks again
          -mtm
          ps wiggo, your avitar kicks total ass! reminds me of friday nights

Comment

well, i finally got it to run at spec.
            i think the problem was that i am cursed, i needed to systematically change every bios setting to something else and change it back again. also apparently i can only change bios settings on even numbered days between 4 and 6 am.:p

well now it working, thats the important thing
            thanks
            -mtm

Comment

Good to hear that things are workin' out for you. :thumb:

The updated BIOS probably just set the wrong timings for ya memory but ya really have to go thru everything to be sure. ;)

Anyhow good luck tweakin' it up.

Comment

Working...
              X