X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which athlon to get?

i am looking to get another motherboard - ABIT KG7-Raid
    I just dont know which athlon to go with either Palomino or Thoroughbred
    I am not planning on overclocking it at all.
    How do i tell the difference between the two when shopping? Does it matter.
    Any suggestions?
    BTW this is going to be my main machine, but i dont play games.

I will give you a kickstart here, but maybe someone else can fill in any holes. :)

I believe the Palimino core is designated MP. They are basically "certified" to work in MultiProcessor platforms. I believe this is due to tighter control of the core frequency. Identical core frequency is apparently important when using a multiprocessor platform. So a 1.4G Palimino processor is probably 1400MHz, whereas a 1.4G Thoroughbred may be 1407 or 1403... you get the point. But there is apparently some threshold where the disparity between frequencies is enough to cause problems as the mulitiple processors try to work together.

Thoroughbred is the latest iteration of the XP processors. These are not intended by the manufacturer to be used in multiprocessing platforms... they can by most account, but not with the same reliability of the MP processors. The same control of the frequency is not necessary in a single processor platform. So there may be some slight variation in the actual core frequency "out of the box."

Bottom line: One should not perform any worse than the other as they should be the same core. If you are not using a multiplatform processor don't bother with the MP. The XP (T-bred) core is going to be cheaper at any frequency.

Hope that helps get you started. :thumb:
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

i know one is .18 and the other is .13 micron (or is it .013?)
      Anyway, thanks for fast reply.

Comment

Well since you are not overclocking or anything that just buy the best you can with the available budget.
        The Xp2400+ is priced very nicely at around $400 AUD.

Comment

I'm in US and here are rough prices shipped
          $328 - Athlon XP 2700 333
          $284 - Athlon XP 2600
          $277 - Athlon XP 2600 333
          $160 - Athlon XP 2400
          $134 Athlon XP 2200
          $85 Athlon XP 2100
          $73 - Athlon XP 2000

So I'm thinking about going with 2100.

Comment

From the prices you have listed, the 2400+ is the breaking point at this time. Add to this the fact that it is a T-Bred core and can overclock (if you decide to go that route) and you should be content... at least for a while. :)
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I really dont need anything faster than my 750, but my friend wants to upgrade his pentium one machine to something so he offfered to but the guts of 750 machine form me, so i can upgrade to something faster, so i dont want to spend too much money.
              heres what i think of what its gonna cost
              KG7Raid = $60
              2100xp = $85
              PC2100 256MB = $50
              Volcano 7 = $ 20
              total = about $210
              he would be willing to pay me like $150 for my stuff, so for $60 i would have pretty good machine. But if I go with 2400, i would have to fork over about $140. and the difference would be minimal between the two for what i need.

Comment

Well that's fundamentally sound but I'd spend a bit extra on memory and get PC2700 plus get the Volcano 7+ as the few extra $'s are worth it my books for the longer run. If ya runnin' Windows XP ya may want to consider another 256MB down the track as well. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I looked at the specs of volcano 7 and 7+ and there seem to be no difference, the one thing that i know of is that there is a different fan on 7+ which pushes more air through, but I dont plan on doing nothing crazy on this machine. I hardly play games, and the ones that i do play, i dont play often.
                  Wiggo does the SETI matter, thats the only thing that i know of that makes my 750Mhz athlong got to full 100% use.
                  I will take a look at the prices of the 7+ and see how much are they. Do i have to adjust the fan on it? or does it do it automatically? or is that the 9+?

anyway, here what abit says about memory
                  "Four 184-pin DIMM sockets support up to 3.5 GB PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM module"
                  since this is my first attempt at DDR memory system, i know nothing about it. I went with the 2100 because they say they support it, but do they support the 2700?
                  For now i will have 256MB but fully intend on getting 512MB more. Once i get a job, or a sugarmomma ;)

thanks for help

Comment

Not only does the 7+ have a smaller fan yes smaller but it has a copper heatsink as well....if you are not willing to spend the cash on the 7+ get the 9 its also has variable speed according temp.
                    - Damien

Comment

Working...
                    X