Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer fails POST?

Hello!
    I have a custom-built computer that I've owned for several years, and it has actually always had this problem...

Specs:
    Asus M5A97 Evo motherboard
    AMD FX8120 8-Core Processor
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
    16GB Ram (2x8gb)

When power is ever disconnected and then reconnected, or the power fails and then comes back on, I have a problem where when I turn the computer on, it will not beep (post). The monitor will show nothing, as if its not even connected. So I hold down the power button to shut down, and I try to turn it on again, same thing. SOMETIMES on this second try, it starts up, beeps, and runs normally. Other times I have to turn it on and off several times, disconnect power, remove the video cable, etc. Eventually, whenever it does start up, it runs like a champ, I can power it off and back on and it comes right back on with no problems. Then another power outage or something, and I have to repeat the process.

I have tried really cleaning out the case of any dust, and I replaced the button-cell battery.
    I have no idea what could be wrong, and like I said, it's been like this since I first got it.
    Is there a diagnostic I can run for this, or is it a compatibility issue, or a video card problem?
    Thanks for any insight you may have!

Re: Computer fails POST?

There are pci diagnostic card that show the bios stage, idk if they work with amd boards as well.
    What is the bios version you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      There are pci diagnostic card that show the bios stage, idk if they work with amd boards as well.
      What is the bios version you have?
      Hello,
      Thanks for the response.
      The current bios version is
      American Megatrends Inc 0705 8/23/2011

I see on the ASUS website that there is an updated BIOS version 1604, from 10/24/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by JGro2013 View Post
        Hello,
        Thanks for the response.
        The current bios version is
        American Megatrends Inc 0705 8/23/2011

I see on the ASUS website that there is an updated BIOS version 1604, from 10/24/2012.
        Right, the FX-8120 supported since bios ver. 0813 (see cpu support list), so up to you what to flash.
        You may need a cpu that supported by ver. 0705 to flash it, or just go to pc tech/repair shop and then can do it for you.
        You can find used sempron 140 for a few bucks
        https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15
        Last edited by Chike; 11-06-2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

It looks fine too

Comment

Working...
          X