Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64GB Memory advice for GA-X99-UD5

Hello guys, long time no see!

I would very much appreciate advice on what's the best memory to buy for memory-intensive data analysis tools, I need 64GB of memory for my GA-X99-UD5 setup. Presently I have a quad channel 4x4GB Kingston Hyper X predator kit, it is this one:

Current overclock settings:

CPU Base Clock Auto
    Host/PCIe Clock Frequency 100Mhz
    Processor base clock(Gear ratio) 1.00x
    Spread Spectrum Control: Auto
    Host Clock Value: 100Mhz

CPU Upgrade Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio 42
    CPU Frequency 4.2Ghz

XMP Profile 2 (from the datasheet XMP Profile #2: DDR4-2666 CL14-14-14 @1.35V)
    System Memory Multiplier Auto
    Memory Frequency 2667Mhz

It took me a long time to archieve those settings and I don't really want to get into altering the overclock as I don't have as much time as I used to have (oh the constraints of real life!). Moreover, this data analysis is important for my job, so I don't wan't the computer to become unstable or (even worse) compute faulty results due to unstable overclock. But I really need those 64Gb of Ram.

So I figure out the best way to increase memory without sacrificing stability on my overclock settings would be buying this kit:

I would run it with XMP Profile #1: DDR4-2666 CL13-15-15 @1.35V

What do you guys think?

Re: 64GB Memory advice for GA-X99-UD5

Basically you should expect lower memory performance when you add memory.
    Your kit is checked to work at 2800 with 8 modules, why are you running only 2666?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Basically you should expect lower memory performance when you add memory.
      Your kit is checked to work at 2800 with 8 modules, why are you running only 2666?
      Thanks for your reply. If I recall correctly from my OC sessions, it was due to stability issues. I could not get past 4.2 Ghz with memory on another multiplier. But it's been years so I don't remember all the details. I settled for a lower CAS latency (14) at a time I believed 2666Mhz CL14-14-14 at 4.2Ghz was better than 2800Mhz at 4.0Ghz or so, ram seemed like a bottleneck for some weird reason.

I have a watercooled CPU, so I'm gonna settle for this 2600Mhz kit unless you believe there's an alternative that can easily get me to 4.4Ghz with a 3000Mhz memory or so with little OC effort.
      Last edited by PeterW_R; 02-27-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterW_R View Post
        Thanks for your reply. If I recall correctly from my OC sessions, it was due to stability issues. I could not get past 4.2 Ghz with memory on another multiplier. But it's been years so I don't remember all the details. I settled for a lower CAS latency (14) at a time I believed 2666Mhz CL14-14-14 at 4.2Ghz was better than 2800Mhz at 4.0Ghz or so, ram seemed like a bottleneck for some weird reason.

I have a watercooled CPU, so I'm gonna settle for this 2600Mhz kit unless you believe there's an alternative that can easily get me to 4.4Ghz with a 3000Mhz memory or so with little OC effort.
        I ended up buying the kit and (predictably) can't get to a stable 4.2Ghz overclock with the same settings and 64Gb.

I'm now running the memory at 2666Mhz 13-15-15 with XMP Profile 1 and CPU clock at 4.0Ghz.

Would appreciate some overlocking advice.

Comment

did you try overclocking it to 4.2ghz with only say....2 sticks of ram installed on each side? and seeing if that would allow you too hit 4.2ghz? were you able too hit 4.2ghz ever with the cpu even? i dont fully recall the mention of what cpu you had, purchased either. so if you could maybe give me that info maybe i could lend a hand
          Last edited by deadlock0345; 03-02-2020, 10:53 PM. Reason: went back too o.p too see if he had mentioned ram and cpu in listing since i didnt fully recall reading it but i found the ram that he mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by deadlock0345 View Post
            did you try overclocking it to 4.2ghz with only say....2 sticks of ram installed on each side? and seeing if that would allow you too hit 4.2ghz? were you able too hit 4.2ghz ever with the cpu even? i dont fully recall the mention of what cpu you had, purchased either. so if you could maybe give me that info maybe i could lend a hand
            Sorry about that, it's a 5820K CPU. I did not try OC with 2 sticks as I really need all 4 in place.

Comment

Working...
            X