Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinstalling Outlook Express in windows 98?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling Outlook Express in windows 98?

Just had a call from a lady friend of mine. For some unknown reason (could get into the intricacies of the female mind but I'm not gonna go there) she tells me that she manged to delete Outlook Express in her windows 89 system. Seems that she decided that it was causeing problems with Incredimail but that as soon as she deleted it she found out that Incredimail is not a stand alone program.:rolleyes: Anyway ... bottom line is that she wants me to reinstall OutLook Express.

This problem begs at least two questions:
    #1. She does appearently have her Windows 98 disk but how do I go about replacing just one program?
    #2. Why do I let myself get conned into playing software repair person when I know so little about what I am doing?

I could really use some help on question #1! Thinking I'm prolly beyond help on question #2.
    Thanks in advance.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

You may try to install Internet Explorer 5 or 5.5 from Microsoft website. ;)
    If this does not work, you need the Windows 98 CD
    :(

Comment

Reinstalling I.E. will reinstall O.E.? She does have the 98 disk . Will I be able to just install O.E. from it? If so ... how? I have installed a lot of programs but have yet to play with an OS disk ... when I screw up bad enuff that I need to format I usually let the experts fix it. :rolleyes2
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

Reinstalling I.E. will reinstall O.E. :laugh:
        You cannot install O.E. from the Windows 98 CD. You have to install Windows again.

Comment

Just go and update to IE6 sp1 and all should be fixed and security updated as well. Also if ya already have IE 5.1 or above the self repair utility in IE will also fix it (under Tools in System Information or Add/Remove Programs-Windows Setup) ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Arrg ...so what you are saying is if she actually did manage to remove OutLook Express then she may have caused terminal damage to the OS? Guess I'll wander over there tomorrow and have a look. If reinstalling I.E is not possible I'll leave it to the pros.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Whew ... Thanks Wiggo! Will give that a shot tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, the Internet Explorer Repair Utility should fix you up.

Start
                Settings
                Control Panel
                Add/Remove Programs
                highlight the entry in the list for Microsoft Internet Explorer
                click the "Add/Remove" button
                A dialouge box will appear asking if you want to remove, or repair the installation.
                Choose to Repair and click OK
                follow the steps presented.
                (being sure to check the box next to the option to install Outlook Express when it is presented - that is the goal here.)
                be advised, it is not impossible to have to do this twice to get it right -- hey, don't ask me - it's Windows

But Wiggo's answer is by far the best -- DL and install Internet Explorer 6 from microsoft. It is a far superior product - it has a few tools she may be unfamiliar with, but it is enough alike that she will be flying with it in no time. The Outlook Express is improved too.

You can get that at; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

Fear not PrairieDawg, you can do this!
                We got your back bro:thumb:
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thank you Mr. C too! I'm quite sure that I'll be able to help her out now that you've given me such detailed info. Will let you know how things turn out.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! It worked! Only problem that I ran into was that Outlook did not reinstall shortcuts or reappear in the program files (or the task bar). Had to find the exe. file and create a desktop shortcut for her. Turns out that Incredimail was letting her see and work with her e-mails but was leaving them on the server even after she deleted them. We deleted nearly 300 e-mails!

Comment

LOL
                      Sounds like you've become her first line of defense!

You've done well.
                      I did a quick browse of the Incredimail help pages, couldn't find a single useful thing there -- just a bunch of junk about backgrounds, images, signatures, etc., etc..

It's not an email program - it's an artist tool

Maybe if you poke around a bit you might find an option about how long to leave a message on the server?

Umm, don't know why it isn't showing up in the programs list?
                      You could always drag it there, and to the quicklaunch toolbar also if you like.

Man, I knew you were going to do well -- for cryin' out loud, you had Wiggo backing you up and all so how could there be a problem?
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                      X