No announcement yet.

Adding New Items to "My computer" (XP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding New Items to "My computer" (XP)

Is there any way to add a "shortcut" to a folder in the mycomputer list?

Ideally I would just want to add the "My documents" folder. I moved it, and somehow XP refuses to add a shortcut to the new location.

I even tried moving it back but it's not working.

Is there a registry edit or a file i place in a folder so XP recognizes it as one that should be displayed under the "files on this computer" list?

i m not very sure what you want but as far as i think you want "My Documents" folder back in the my computer window. if i m right this should help you...

Open regedit and look for the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

now in the right hand window look for the String Value "Personal". It should have value C:\Documents and Settings\name\My Documents\ where "name" is your account name ofcourse. If its not...try changing it to this entry and see if it helps.

Also check under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders that personal says "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents".

I think this should help.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
    X