Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus A7N8X w/nVidia chipset unlocks multiplier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus A7N8X w/nVidia chipset unlocks multiplier?

I keep reading that the nVidia chipsets unlock the CPU for you. I have the Asus A7N8X and in the BIOS it will let me change the multiplier but when I start it up and run WCPUID it says the multiplier is still 13. When i go back into the bios after restart it does say whatever number I upped it to as being the setting...

I don't think this mobo unlocks the multiplier for you, just allows you to change it once it has been unlocked. However, I am not completely sure of this and would like to know the correct answer as well.

Comment

From what i've managed to read, most motherboards with the nforce2 chipset unlock the multiplier but only if the cpu is a T-bred-b core.

Get wiggo to answer, he'd probably know the answer!

Comment

I still don't know the diff between amd cpus so what's a thorough bred b core?

Comment

Yes the documentation that comes with nForce2 mobos only mentions Thoroughbreds of being able to have their multipliers force changed and I havn't tried a Palamino yet in one to find out for sure. ;)

The difference between the two core types is easy as Palaminos have their details etched to the core while Thoroughbreds have theirs on a sticker attached to the CPU's base. :)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

so since mine didn't have a sticker on it means that mine's the palimino or whatever?

Comment

If you can see well enough between the HSF and the base to see no black sticker near the edge then yes you have a Palamino cored one. :(

All XP2200+'s and above are Thoroughbreds (though those 2400+ and above are B revisions) but recents purchases of lower speed XP's may find Thoroughbred A and B cores (B's have a squarer lookin' core to the A's very rectangular one). ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well aiight well sometime soon i might have to just sell this one and invest in a 2200+ or something...

thanks for the help!

Comment

what is the difference between the A and B models...aside from the noted speed and shape?

Comment

ok all 2400xp chips are b cores it use to be there were 2 2200xp chips a and b now you can find b cores in 1700/1800/2100 thats all i have seen so far

Comment

ok if ya looking for a b core look at this

AXDA1700 DUT3C
                      JIUGB 0251 VPFW
                      ok now the u after 1700 d meens b core only for the 1700 1800
                      take a look
                      http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=7766

Comment

Working...
                      X