cpu fan stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu fan stopped working

Well i dont know if this is the right place to post this but .. like the title says, my cpu fan just stopped working.

I was running my computer overnight(not the first time) and the next day, i started to unrar a file(probably irrelevant) then my computer rebooted.. I was like.. wtf?? so i restarted thinking it was nothing. then it wouldnt restart.. i tried again 4 hours later(when i came back home from work) then it worked and froze, thats when i finally opened up my case and found out my cpu fan wasn't spinning..

I tried the fan on another computer and it works so i'm guessing it's the motherboard at fault?

A few days before I went into bios the hsf was at ~4800rpm and cpu temp at ~40C

My computer specs:
    O/S: XP Pro
    CPU: AMD 1.33 Athlon
    HSF: Tt (duno which one, it works tho)
    Mobo: FIC AZ11EA (almost 2 yrs old)
    GPU: Radeon 8500
    PSU: 300 watts

Well... I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea what happened, if a mobo just goes bad of old age?

I had already ordered a MSI k7n2-L coz i was planing on upgrading my computer in a few months anyway, but this even t just sped things up.

If the draw is too great for the motherboard to handle the load, then it will eventually kill the fan header on the board. That is one reason that I always recommend getting a 3-pin to 4-pin convertor. This allows you to connect the fan to the main power supply and never have this problem. There are even several different varieties available that have a yellow wire connected to a separate 3-pin connector that still allows the system board to monitor fan speeds.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Its most likely your Power supply...

Motherboards don't control the electric current running from your power supply to your fans...unless it takes it electricity from the mother board 3 pin connector. In that case it can be your mobo but it might be its own fault...maybe something isshorting it or something. Try just using the just the essential stuff...and try that. I think its the power supply that is getting old and not giving the mpother board suffient power to push everything on that board. Try a new Power supply..have you tried that?
      - Damien

Comment

As you can see Darth beat me to it...:)
        - Damien

Comment

well.. tried a new psu, a 400 watts

and nope, didn't work..

so yea.. maybe darth is porbably right.

Comment

Probably more right than ya'd like right now I bet but powerin' fans off the mobo is a :no: in my books as if ya don't damage anything then ya goin' to cruel ya overclockin' capabilities somethin' cronic. :devil win
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wait a second. Did you say Wiggo that you recommend not connecting the cpu fan to the mobo but to the power supply itself?

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                Dallows[/size]]
                Wait a second. Did you say Wiggo that you recommend not connecting the cpu fan to the mobo but to the power supply itself?
                WTF????? :confused:

Wtf are you on? Have you read and understood what this is all about? Where did I say otherwise? :?:

<center> :scream: </center>

Comment

Yes, I understood what I read, which was all of it. And it's not always easy to understand what you guys right, with all the abbreviations and lack of correct grammar (periods and what not).

Comment

Well get use to it as this is an international site. :D

Comment

Hmmm... and here I thought that my grammar skills were more than adequate. If you'll scroll up a bit, you'll see that I stated the same thing and even recommended using a 3-pin to 4-pin converter to handle the power needs of the fans.

Did I miss something?
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

that's what I was trying to make clear, whether or not you should take a 3-4pin connector and use that instead of hooking the hsf to the mobo. As Wiggo said too.

Comment

No I didn't. :confused:

I only let the mobo monitor the fan.
                          Probably more right than ya'd like right now I bet but powerin' fans off the mobo is a :no: in my books as if ya don't damage anything then ya goin' to cruel ya overclockin' capabilities somethin' cronic. :devil:
                          Now where did I say to power then from the mobo? :?:

I stated the problems caused by doin' so. :hammer:

<small>where are we gettin' them from these days?</small> :cry:

Comment

OH DAMN! My bad, I just got a closer look at that little smiley face. I guess I just read it wrong. It was late and stuff. Sorry Wiggo.

Comment

I've had the exact thing happen to me before, my motherboard went, and so did my CPU fan, and because of that my CPU went too, I like to play around with wires an' stuff, so could you please tell me the pin layout to convert a 3-pin fan (Which just connects into the motherboard) to a 4-pin?

I think I know how it's done, but I don't want to take ANY chances, not after last night's HSF change between my good copper based HSF to an AMD certified HSF (They're not the best things to use, esspecially with the rubbery heatsink on the bottom of them!).

I have loads of wires and stuff in a bundle in the loft, so I have the tools to do it.

ThanX

Comment

Working...
                              X