I've paid my dues long enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've paid my dues long enough

It looks like I may be getting a 256 DSL connection very soon.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me gang!

But in my opinion being stuck with dial-up for 5 years is long enough. Apparently the trunk here can support 6 connections until fibre-optic arrives here -- and it looks like yours truly is in line for 1 of those precious 6.

So, being that all this NIC and router stuff is greek to me because reading about it before just depressed the hell out of me.
    Where can I go to get up to speed on the issues like security, optimization, etc. etc.

doin' the happy dance now baby!:bounce:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Congrats Mr C! You've been holding out for a long time for this. I just hope it comes through for you. I must say I love every second of my 512k connection... it's so nice.. :)

Where do you go for help? Right here in these forums! There's been so much said in the Internet n Networking area (half of which you've contributed to) that you shouldn't need much more. If so, just ask away. I'm sure between us all we've got any kind of set up you're looking for.

Comment

I am back on 56k now I am back in the country. When I head back to the city I am going to buy a router with dual DSL ports and signup for two 1500 plans - 3mbits should be nice! :D
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Have I ever told you how much I love you Tweak? Now, about upgrading my ADSL connection... :)

Comment

Good going Mr.C...man sux to be in 56k sux even more going back to it after tasting high broadband...

Have FUN!
          :cheers:
          - Damien

Comment

LOL
            Yes Beefy, thanks for the tip!
            And it wasn't like I was holding out, Lord knows I'd have signed up in an uptown minute given the chance -- which I did when I was:)

The phone guy came today to install the second line (because it was the only upgrade I could get for connectivity).
            Well, we was talking PC's 'n' connections and such ('cause you know I love that stuff!), and he says to me, "I get 256,000 on my DSL."
            So I says to him, "where do you live?"
            And he says to me, "In that trailer over there."
            I says, "We just wasted our damn time."
            He says, "If you want DSL, call the office, I got 2 spaces left on the hub."
            I says, "let me go get the phone."

And hopefully, the rest is history.
            My wife called them Monday and was told it would be 2 years before DSL could be made available, so she arranged for the second line.
            I called today and talked to a different gal (there are only 2 there) and she knew all about it and was only too happy to make the arrangements, username and password is all in place even.

I already told the phone guy -- hec, we're neighbors for cryin' out loud -- that if he could get me the Cat5 I'd have it routed under the house and all he had to do was work the ends. He was cool with that. (and I'm sure, pleased not to have to crawl under the house) :laugh:
            Dood! this PC sits like 60 feet from the doggone hub, so it ought'a be full bore when they get the fibre-optic in. With a bit of services upgrade of course.

But yeah, definitely looks like it's going to be time to sift through the past Networking threads and get myself up to par.
            At least I hope so!
            **fingers crossed**
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Pffffffffft! Phsyical labor, go wireless! :)
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Congrats, Mr. C!
                I was tickled to no end when I went from dialup to DSL. I hope I never have to go back.

Enjoy!:thumb:
                JM

Funniest dialup memory is when Juno.com tried to charge me $29.95 for a what was supposed to be a $9.95 unlimited use plan... because I used it too much. I think I cancelled the service faster than I was ever able to connect to the service. :laugh: :hammer:
                Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                  Pffffffffft! Phsyical labor, go wireless! :)
                  :laugh:
                  Dood, you've got to realize ___ I was seriously considering killing someone, because I would have better bandwidth in prison

Comment

Damn wired-networks is all I got to say!

Someone create a mega-uber worldwide wireless network!!!
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I don't mind layin' out Cat5e just for the sake of the speed that it gives me. :D
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        I don't mind layin' out Cat5e just for the sake of the speed that it gives me. :D
                        <center>:cheers:</center>
                        Wanna do it for me and the rest of the world as well? ;)
                        Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                          Damn wired-networks is all I got to say!

Someone create a mega-uber worldwide wireless network!!!
                          I found out yesterday ive got wireless, from two different neighbors even! I could got a wireless card and not had to pay for this connection. Geesh.

Ya think a uber-wireless network would send to many signals through our brains to be healthy? Not that i mind getting rid of the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to get the internet strait to my brain...:laugh:

Comment

As long as we process faster than 56k...
                            Managing Director
                            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

process?!?!?
                              i see web pages and video games in my sleep, what makes you think i cant make the jump to realtime internet to my brain?

Comment

Working...
                              X