Will I see a noticeable boost in performance if I add more m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I see a noticeable boost in performance if I add more m

I currently have an Athlon 1.3, 512 meg of pc133 sdram, an Iwill KK266 mobo with a free memory slot and I am running Windows XP pro. I play a lot of videogames and I sometimes do video projects like making dvd's and rendering and editing video.

Do you think adding a 512 meg stick(for a total of 1 gig) will boost my performance noticeably?

It's been said that 512MB is like the sweet spot for winxp.

Infact for several months I was running only 256 and I thought my computer was fine. However when I closed high-intense games my computer would slow down soooooooo much. I didn't even know it would be ram related. Anyway I bought a 512 stick (currently running 768) and the computer is overall faster. And the games don't lag. But in your case I don't think it would effect it any. Now rendering video and dvd's and stuff like that. That may require a gig depending on what your doing.

Comment

You can NEVER have too much ram.

I'm gonna get 3 sticks of 512 soon. a gig and a half is enough for me...now ;x

Comment

I've had both 1gig and 512 on this system at different times...one of the sticks got severly damaged...there is a noticbale difference at 1 gig, like Fallen said...you can never have too much ram (however that's not true with older os)

Comment

I ran a dual p3 1ghz system with 1gb of ram until a few months ago with XP on it for the longest time and I can't say for performance but, I can say this, windows had NEVER peaked over using 580 MB of physical memory (that is with photoshop 7 open, maya, 3dmax, about a half dozen IE windows open, and some other crap running (quite a few memory intensive applications open)). In my opinion, going any more than 640 is a waste on XP right now.

Comment

heh heh. When you get around the gig+ range, you can always lease that space out for ram drives. :)

Comment

I vote for never having enough RAM. We have dual 2.2 xeons with 4G of RAM at work. I know, the 32-bit systems can only handle 2G per task, or something around there. But rendering in Max (Scene matters), Rotating canvas in Photoshop, and having about 8 large files open in Corel maxed out about 2.15G of the RAM. For games, I got 1G... For video editing and 3D you can never have too much... JM2C

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinator
                I know, the 32-bit systems can only handle 2G per task
                Depends on what type of integers your system is working with on that particular task :) unsigned integers work from 0 to 4294967296 (32 bit unsigned integers that is) ... signed integers work from -2147483648 to 2147483648 which is where your probably thinking 2G per task :)

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                  Alvis[/size]]
                  I currently have an Athlon 1.3, 512 meg of pc133 sdram, an Iwill KK266 mobo with a free memory slot and I am running Windows XP pro. I play a lot of videogames and I sometimes do video projects like making dvd's and rendering and editing video.

Do you think adding a 512 meg stick(for a total of 1 gig) will boost my performance noticeably?
                  Dice both the mobo and SDRAM and get a mobo based on the nForce2 or VIA KT333 (or better but the KT400 is better) and 512MB of DDR400 memory and you wouldn't believe how much better that 1.3GHz Athy will go. Basically that memory ya have is stranglin' ya CPU. :devil win
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                  X