Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating = Random Reboot? (A7N8X)

I have a A7N8X mobo with a Ahtlon XP 2400+

I was curious as to why my computer is randomly rebooting.
    Is my CPU overheating? and does this motherboard automatically reboot because of it?

Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated :)

it's not rebooting due to overheating...it shut's down when it gets too hot...it could be a memory problem or a software issue

Comment

I'm hoping its not software.. because it started happening right after a fresh install of Windows XP Professional. And I have some heat spreaders on my memory with dual 20 mm fans

Comment

with a xp 2400+, do you think I need to run my Volcano 9 at a constant maximum rpm?

Comment

probably not unless you've got it overclocked and you've got your goop applied right...the thermal probe on the volcano 9 works pretty well so you can try that, if you have good cooling you probably only need to set it to max (if not using the therm prob) when you are going to have a weekend of fragging :snip:

Comment

if it started right after you installed xp then try formatting and installing again...if you have partion magic do a secure erase (it'll overwrite the entire partition) so you don't get any bugs from the previous install

Comment

Alright, cool

I plan to take off the V9, do a thorough cleaning job, and reinstall it with some Artic Silver 3 and the temp probe it came with for variable rpm's. Then stop by a computer hardware store and purchase a DigiDoc 5 and install that so I can monitor my cpu, memory, hdd, and case temp, along with all my fans.

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this...

Comment

while that should secure any heat problems you have, i really doubt that this is heat related...seriouly take a look at your software to make sure the problem dosn't lie there, do you think it is possible that you damaged your ram when you put the heatsinks on?

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
                  I think I solved the problem, conflicting video drivers. I deleted and installed some 41.xx nvidia drivers.
                  It doesn't seem like my computer will shut down anymore.. but Il'l have to wait and see since my computer has only been up for about 20 minutes.

Now what I'm really curious about is how accurate the Asus temperature monitors are...

I have asus probe installed and it reads 39C for CPU, and 29C for mobo.

The BIOS says its like 57C....

which one should I refer to?
                  and why is it different anyways? shouldn't they be both referring to the same temp probes?

Comment

Glad to help anytime...I don't really have time to get into this right now, but I'll say this..asus temps can vary a lot depending on the model. I've been through 3 asus boards to date and have always used asus probe...the temps it gives me and the bios temps have always been the same. If you want to know the real temps get some thermal probes.

Comment

Which one should I refer to, the BIOS? or the ASUS PC Probe? I dont' understand... I thought they are both reading from the same source.. how are they different then?

Comment

they are reading from the same sorce, try reinstalling asus probe..until then stick with the bios

(does double posting get confusing for you, i think it does for me)

Comment

Working...
                        X