Power Supply Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Problem?

Alright, so I've got this other compute right, and lately it's been not booting. Not even turning on when you press the power button, so to get to run I have to manually turn off the switch at the back of the power supply wait a little, turn the switch back on, and then I can turn the computer on normally. It's the power supply right? Also around the same time (and still) the basically brand new (a few months) Benq 16x DVD ROM won't work. It won't read any cds, so no games can be played. This really pisses me off, but I was hoping that it's just the power supply's fault, and not that the drive is broken. Any Thoughts?

make sure all the cables are seated firmly for the dvd-rom (on the mobo too) and the jumper is not set to cable select....try using a different psu and see if the other problem still exists

Comment

That sounds like the power supply on the old computer but check the connection to the mobo before buying a new one.The new computer is definetly something to do with the drive.It could be the driver not being installed propaly,it could be the connections.power or to the mobo. Check the connections and if that doesn't work than there must be a serious problem

Comment

The drive is on the same computer. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Comment

thought so, still check all the cable connections for a snug fit and switch out the psu for one you know is good

Comment

oh ok i understand.Still check the cables and all the rest

Comment

yeah, I'll do that, problem is I don't have a power supply laying around, and I don't really feel like taking the one from my computer out, cause it's all tied up and stuff on the inside, the cables ya know. I'll double check the connections.

Comment

Alright, checked out all the connections. I even saw that I had both the master and slave jumper put in, but I fixed that and there was still the problem. Let me describe what happens better. The computer recognizes the drive for what it is. And when you try to look at a cd, it spins (green light on) and doesn't read anything. Soo... Could I take out that DVD drive and check it up with my computer?

Comment

yes, try that...take dvd out of one comp and put it in the other to see if it works...i would highly recomend putting your good psu in your bad comp, it's a little extra work, but it's worth it to find out if you have a bad psu or not...fixing a comp is often trial and error, removing and replacing parts until you find the problem

Comment

Yeah, I know, just wish I'd had this prob before I finished putting the my new computer together. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out I guess. I'll reply to this post.

Comment

Alright, so I just hooked up the DVD to this computer, and the goddamn thing won't read any cds. What gives?

Comment

looks like you have have a bumb dvd-rom, how old is it? optical drives do ware out over time...i had a cheap cd-rom that did the same thing after about 1.5 years, ended up buying a new one. Try cleaning it first...a cleaning dvd ($7 ?) is a lot cheaper than a $70 dvd drive

Comment

I've had the thing since nov 2002 at the latest. thing is the other members of my family use it and they're well, dumb. They like to break a lot of stuff. What about a cleaning cd? Used for cleaning cd players.

Comment

all optial drives can get dirty...I've got a maxell cd cleaner that states "cd, dvd, cd-rom lens cleaner" on the the front. It's only got one brush underneath so it dosn't take much...
                            I bought it when my cd-rom started doing what your dvd-rom is doing now...didn't work, but it's worth a shot...but like i said, i think you've got a bum drive...have you tried switching the psu yet?

Comment

No, what makes you think that switching out power supplies will work, or might work. I switched the drive out with the good computer, My computer. It's the only optical drive that's hooked up. 300w PSU. I don't like the idea of having a bum drive. You think I could return it to where I bought it? Best Buy, retail store. I have the receipt I think

Comment

Working...
                              X