startup problems xp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• startup problems xp?

Hi, i've got a weird thing, always after a clean installation of windows xp, it all runs sweet, but after a week or so this is the problem:
    everything starts up normally, except for 1 or 2 programs.
    for an example: if i doubleclick on system, it takes like 20 seconds for the pc to start this screen.
    i just think this is very weird, I followed and aplied all the tweak guides here, but no solution, I think that I once read something about v hunkmegs or something and aplied that and thought it worked, but I can't remember what it was.
    if anyone can help me out, thx
    system specs:
    athlon xp 1700+
    256 mb ddr
    asus a7v-266e
    geforce 3 ti 200
    jd

Which program are you talking about? I can think of the "com_hunkmegs" tweak in Quake3-based games (like Jedi Outcast and Wolfenstein) which allocates more memory to the game. Is that what you're referring to?

If you double-click on Control Panel>System it probably takes 20 seconds because something on your machine is timing out. That means Windows is searching for a device (like a CD in the drive, or a USB mouse) which it can't find/identify, so it trys several times and gives up.

More details and we can help.
    My Machine

Comment

first of all, thx for the quick response.
      do you know the program "winfox", a utility that comes with the leadtek line of geforce cards?
      that is the program where xp hangs on.
      'cause when after about 20 seconds winfox will start up (it should boot up immediatly after windows starts up), the problems are over.
      now the weird thing is, now it is all fine again, maybe next week it starts happening again. probably the only solution is to remove it which i don't like 'cause it's such a handy tool for me with hardware disgnostic temperature readings on my geforce card
      jd

Comment

sorry to post another thread on this again, but after thorough analysing i found that winfox is not the problem, everytime when i do a clean install of xp everything works fine and then after a week or so this problem starts, it really is driving me crazy, if anyone has had this problem before, the computer hanging for about 20 seconds at startup, please let me no
        thx
        jd

Comment

As I said, it sounds like your machine is looking for a device and it takes a long time before it identifies it. Have you followed my WinXP Guide to make sure you have the right settings first of all?

If so, next thing to do is go through your BIOS according to the BIOS Guide and make sure all the BIOS settings are correct.

You're also running windows defrag regularly I hope. Do these and come back if the problem still persists :)
          My Machine

Comment

I understood the first time that the machine is looking for a device.. however there are no devices to start. and like I also said, it's an occasional thing, i did follow all the guides and as for the bios, that is absolutely fine.
            thx for all the replies, but it is all quit basic and doesn't really do anything for me
            jd

Comment

It is all basic, but I have to make sure you've done the basics before we get more detailed. I have no way of knowing how much you know about PCs to start with :)

OK, you say there's no devices to start, that's clearly untrue. Your system has a lot of devices. It could be that the system is trying to set UDMA5 on your hard drive, and failing that sets it to PIO after 20 seconds of trying for example.

Have you run Bootivs, and examined the load up graph? it shows what is loading when, and how long it takes. Examine the graph and see what device/driver/item is taking 20 seconds to load.
              My Machine

Comment

Working...
              X