Overclocking Ready to Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Ready to Begin

Okay, I'm ready to try overclocking my setup now, just wanted it to run for a while to make sure everything is honky-dorey.

Here's the system

Albatron PX845PE Pro 2
    P4 2.4 533Mhz (stock fan)
    1GB Kingston DDR333 (2 512MB)
    Leadtek MyVvio Ti4600 128MB
    (2) WD SE 80GB
    (2) 80mm exhaust fans
    (2) 80mm intake fans buying them today

I've never overclocked before, so anyone got any links to some good stuff. Any tips from people who have any of this hardware. I'm kinda curious about the 533Mhz of the CPU. I never changed any settings in the bios about the voltage or Mhz. So I don't even know if it's reading it at the 400Mhz or 533Mhz. I noticed it gave me choices of 133-248 I believe, not exactly sure how it reads it. At boot up it says 2.4 but no speed next to it.

Thanks in Advance!

Well I've got almost the same setup here;

P4 2.4B @ 2.7GHz
    Volcano 7+
    Gigabyte 8PE667 Pro
    512MB PC3200
    GF4 Ti4200 128MB VIVO
    WD JB400 HDD
    Lite-On CDRW
    3 x Tri-Lite fans and 2 x blue-lite fans

Now I basically left the memory timings set at SPD, kept the AGP/PCI buses locked. Then just upped the memory and AGP voltage 0.1v each plus set the Vcore to 1.6v. I got the FSB up to 150MHz but here's where I've hit a brickwall and no matter what I try I just can't get past it (too hot here atm to try more voltage) and only the CPU is bein' stressed here so I'd say that's it for the CPU (everything else is well in spec, shame I couldn't get the EPoX mobo though).
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm running the PX845PEV Pro which is quite similar to your board, with a 2.53ghz P4 and kingston ram.. Highest I've got with stock cooling is 3.21ghz (Vcore 1.775 (Ram running at 423mhz 2.7v)) Granted, I'm only running one stick of memory, single sided. Your ram will be unlikely to overclock as high as mine does since your running 2 sticks and likely those 512's are double sided. Irregardless, you should be able too (on that mainboard) hit 169 FSB w/ stock cooling relatively stable (was halfass stable here, had some minor glitches with my onboard sound w/ stock cooling at that speed).

Your processor is 533mhz fsb if you got 133 - 248 (133 * 4 = 533) remember that the P4 fsb is quadpumped meaning an FSB of 100 is 400mhz, 133 is 533.

You should be able too, with stock cooling, hit 160 100% stable (should be able to go higher except your ram might be a hinderance)... Also, what type of PSU do you have?

(Side note: If your running hotter than 45 C idle at 3+ ghz, open up the side of your case, I run 51 C with the sides on in my rig, but with it off, idle it runs around 43 C)

Comment

Originally posted by Suicide
        (Side note: If your running hotter than 45 C idle at 3+ ghz, open up the side of your case, I run 51 C with the sides on in my rig, but with it off, idle it runs around 43 C)
        Since you are obviously deep into overclocking, you really should do something about your case cooling. The fact that you can run a full eight degrees cooler without side panels indicates that your internal cooling sucks!

Just something to consider.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Yes that's noyt good at all. :(

Mine will go up in temp slightly when I open my case. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
            Since you are obviously deep into overclocking, you really should do something about your case cooling. The fact that you can run a full eight degrees cooler without side panels indicates that your internal cooling sucks!

Just something to consider.
            Oh I know, and something is being done (when I get the funds to do it :)) But for now, I just run without side panels unless I have to run it with side panels... in whcih case, i bump down to 2.53 (runs 48 C)

Comment

Thanks for the info all!

I didn't get a chance to get the fans today, I took a buddy out last night for his 30th birthday. He got turned into an Oreo sandwich at one of Vegas' fine strip clubs... for $50! lol So I'll have to try it later this week.

Suicide - If you mean Power Supply when you say PSU, I have a 500w.... I didn't think I got that high of one, but it says 500w Max on the side of it... It's a:

Powerlink Switching Power Supply CWT-500ATX-12v

Aslo, before I do it, for some reason I'm getting some feedback in the onboard sound. Slight squeel when I use the mouse scroll wheel. Odd, haven't had this before.

Comment

Wiggo, I get the same problem as well.

I've upped the FSB to 156, with RAM voltage=2.7, and CPU voltage=1.65, using stock HSF. It would restart whenever I play any intensive game. Is it because of the mobo? Or the RAM?

I've got the GA-8PE667 version of the mobo without the bells and whistles.

I've even tried FSB=170, but it just won't start up :(

Comment

Cant tell you exactly, but i had that problem too and i just upped my Vcore. Not familar with P4s tho.

Comment

hi peeps... im new here. you'll prob laugh at me, but i want to overclock an intel celeron 766. (go ahead, laugh). basically, i have no knowlege of overclocking whatsoever, so could somone be so kind as to guide me thru the overclocking process? i suppose i'll want to overclock my FSB too.... i think its only 133mhz. my PCs specs are:
                    intel celeron 766
                    512mb sdram
                    mb - dont know... standard HP pavilion (go ahead, laugh again....)
                    1x30gb and 1x60gb @ 7200rpm
                    mitisumi 4x burner (even i think thats funny)
                    some CD drive... dunno
                    1.44 floppy
                    thats all i can think of...

sorry, im obviously a newb at hardware; im more of a software person. btw, the reason im dealing w/ such a crappy pc is because its my parents and i dont have enough cash to build my own, halfway decent system.

Comment

What software/hardware are you using to monitor the temp. of your CPU?

I like to up the Vcore, but I think it's getting too hot.

As a general rule, what do you change first, the Vcore or the FSB?

Comment

Please provide us with more specs, especially the mobo you have. Here is the things you need to do:

1. Up the RAM voltage by an extra 0.1 volts
                        2. Make sure the PCI/AGP are locked, meaning at 33 and 66 mhz (from damaging any cards)
                        3. Up the CPU voltage by an extra 0.1 to 0.2
                        4. Finally change the FSB until the system is stable.

Remember, overclocking does have it's risks.

Comment

Actually I wouldn't up the vcore by 0.1v then to 0.2v ... I'd step up however little your bios allows you too... which on most p4 boards is 0.025v so for example, if your proc's vcore is 1.525 by default, and your running at 1.650 right now and having stability issues, up your vcore to 1.675 then do what you were doing again, if your still getting instabilities, try going up to 1.7v if your still having problems, i wouldn't go any higher then 1.725v (at least my own general purpose rule is not to go higher than 0.2v over default voltage on a p4). Granted, there are some cases ya know you can get it stable at say 1.750 or even 1.775 but if your okay with risking it... go right ahead and try any voltage ya like :D But like I say, I would recommend staying at or below 1.725 (and only at 1.725 if you need it)... But try 1.675 first, that may fix your prob.

Comment

At the moment my Vcore is @ 1.6V, and FSB=150, DIMM=2.6V, and AGP slot=1.6V.

What settings would you recommend to get it to 2.8ghz?

I really like to hit 3.06, but I think my DDR memory won't take it, plus I'm using a stock HSF.

Comment

well.... i did an extensive search, and all i could come up with for a motherboard model is its a cognac. i cant say ive ever heard of it... anyway, my pc's model # is pavilion 7840 if that helps. also, from what i've read, the FSB is only 66mhz. i read that 66mhz will limit the choices for a different processor, but will i be able to overclock it? as for telling me to "lock the agp/pci to 33...." you might as well be talking to a def person. i am a completel noob to this, meaning i have no knowlege whatsoever on this topic. i dont have an agp slot (cheap a$$ mobo), so i guess i dont need to do that part of it...

i realize overclocking is somewhat risky, but were talking about a $40 chip here... besides, i think 800mhz would be sufficient... do you think i'd notice a 33mhz increase?

btw, the reason i want to do this is games. i can live with it as is for other things. my gfx card is a jaton geforce 4 440mx pci (took me forever to find that).could that be overclocked to get any extra juice from my pathetic box?

hmm... i gotta get a job so i can get a decent pc...

Comment

Working...
                              X