Applying Arctic Silver 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Arctic Silver 3

I'd like to find out how others are installing the Arctic Silver 3 on the HSF. On the last computer I built I used an old cloth for my glasses. I threw it away afterwards cause I didn't know if I should use it on my glasses any more or not. Will the stuff wash out of a cloth? Can I just use an old t-shirt? Also, it says to put a thin layer on the CPU. How thin? Anyone have any pictures that would help? I don't know if putting to much hurts but I assume that putting to little would. Thanks.

I use a isopropyl alcohol wipe first before usin' a glass cloth to remove any left over lint (the glass cloth will last much much longer that way) and apply AS3 only as thick as a thin sheet of paper. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

http://overclockersclub.com/heatsinklappingguide.php
      That should do the trick :)

Comment

What about this instruction from the AS3 site?

Re-clean the heatsink surface with a LINT FREE cloth. Do not use any solvent or fluid.
        Originally posted by Wiggo
        I use a isopropyl alcohol wipe first before usin' a glass cloth to remove any left over lint (the glass cloth will last much much longer that way) and apply AS3 only as thick as a thin sheet of paper. ;)

Comment

Also, is it important that I buy some kind of monitor to keep an eye on the temp? My current case has a built in thermometer but my new case doesn't. Any suggestions?

Comment

Well it works for me but why they have that maybe that some ppl's idea of solvents is rather extreme to say the least. Those wipes which ya get from electronics stores are specially made for just this sort of use. : peace2:

Comment

Here are the directions for the Volcano 7+ for using with a P4.

http://www.thermaltake.com/support/i...s/v7plusP4.htm

I'm a bit confused as this is a little different than it was on the AMD. Should I go by the directions on the Arctic Silver site or the Tt site? Cause on the Tt site it doesn't say to apply and grease to the HS but only to the processor. Also, because of the setup of the P4 processor, I'm not sure how to put thermometer probe onto it. There is no extra space on the processor to tape it like there is on the AMD.

Thanks.

Comment

i use a program called hmonitor or something like that, it monitors your voltages, RPMs of fans and whole bunch of other stuff.
                I just use it to monitor my system temps while crunchin seti.

Oh and most mobos have temp monitors built in.
                here's a pic

I would look for it on download.com or tucows.com I really dont know where i got it from

Comment

hmonitor is way off on sometimes... I mean, see the attached image... My Vid card thermometer (at least, the reported temp through my drive bay monitor) reads 52 C yet, hmonitor reports anywhere from 69 to 72 C

(reason voltages are showing red is coz i'm oc'ng big time (3401mhz from 2533mhz :D))

Comment

How are you monitoring the temp or your CPU? Where are you mounting the probe?

Are there any other software monitors that would be more accurate?

I have the 2.53 P4 with Volcano 7+, Asus P4PE, and Corsair 512MB DDR 400. Should I be able to overclock mine to 3+ GHz?

Originally posted by Suicide
                    hmonitor is way off on sometimes... I mean, see the attached image... My Vid card thermometer (at least, the reported temp through my drive bay monitor) reads 52 C yet, hmonitor reports anywhere from 69 to 72 C

(reason voltages are showing red is coz i'm oc'ng big time (3401mhz from 2533mhz :D))

Comment

I mounted the probes just underneith the heatsink on the chipset and the near the cpu socket (as close as I could get without comprimising heat exchange) So the temps are fairly accurate.

As for your overclocking, You should be able to hit 3ghz (158 FSB) but as far as going past that, you may run into problems, won't even guarentee 3ghz for ya... but you SHOULD be able to go past 3ghz :)

Comment

Sorry, I am trying, but I do not follow. Do you have a pic or do you have an links to a website with pics. I've searched on google and have found nothing other than pics of probes being taped to AMD processors. I can't find any info at all on doing this to a P4. Right now this is the only thing holding me back from putting my computer together. I have all of the parts now but this temp thing is really confusing me cause I want to overclock and know that it is important to keep an eye on the temps. Are there not any software monitors that give an accurate cpu temp?

Edit: I found a pic. Is this how you are doing it?

I mounted the probes just underneith the heatsink on the chipset and the near the cpu socket (as close as I could get without comprimising heat exchange) So the temps are fairly accurate.

As for your overclocking, You should be able to hit 3ghz (158 FSB) but as far as going past that, you may run into problems, won't even guarentee 3ghz for ya... but you SHOULD be able to go past 3ghz :)

Comment

I'd recommend the software monitor that came with your motherboard... But, if your like me, and didn't get one with your motherboard, experiment.

Secondly, no I don't place my probe like that. It goes about 2 mm next to the socket (opposite side of pin1). It doesn't touch the top of the heatsink at all so I don't comprimise heat transfer. But it's close enough to give an accurate reading (right now it reads 31 C, and if I had a program that I coudl read the temp from the cpu therm diode itself (which is give or take 5 C), I bet it'd read in and around the same... The probe for the chipset, since the chipset is designed like a fc-pga p3 for example (even a duron or athlon), I just set the probe next to the core... Accurate to within 2 C I'm guessing).

No pics unfortunately... I could take a pic with this cheapo webcam I got laying around, but it looks like russian tv (that wasn't a shot for any russians who may read these forums, just a generalization... you may commence poking fun at Canada now :geek:)

Comment

This ASUS board came with a program called ASUS PC Probe and I'm gonna use it. I was confused and nervous putting this together so I went ahead and just put in the retail HSF. I guess I'll just won't overclock as high as I was hoping. This is already so fast, though, I don't even know if I need to overclock. :D

I'd recommend the software monitor that came with your motherboard... But, if your like me, and didn't get one with your motherboard, experiment.

Comment

ASUS Probe was fairly dead on temp wise on my old dual p3 1ghz box.. granted, not perfect :)

Comment

Working...
                              X