No announcement yet.

FSB multiplier with sdram 133 safe?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSB multiplier with sdram 133 safe?????

Hi I am about to venture into the unkown here (at least for me anyway) I have read up on overclocking my cpu but I have never actually done it b4. I have overclocked my gfx card many times but something about the cpu dieing on me always made me too scared. But now I have reached the "I don't really give a toss" stage and there is only one thing holding me back.

My system is:

Athlon XP 2100+
    Asus A7A266-E Bios Rev1.0.11
    Asus Geforce 3 V8200 PURE on 31.28 drivers
    256 PC - 133 ram (heres the problem)
    WD 40gb 7200rpm
    CD-RW/DVD combi samsung
    Windows 2000

Now I hear that its best to have faster ram to utilise the extra speed of an o/c'd FSB but my motherboard only supports upto DDR 2100 (which I dont want to buy now cos its pretty long in the tooth) and I can't afford to upgrade my mobo and ram yet.

Is it still possible to overclock the FSB safely and see a noticeable performance boost?

any information you can give me will be appreciated.

cheers.

It only "officially" supports PC2100 but PC2700 will work in it and yes the FSB is all you really need to alter but a 0.1v increase with the CPU and memory voltages will help as well and just watch ya temps. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the response m8 but a few newbie questions more an I'll be out of yer hair.

When you say 2700 will work what do you mean?

will I get the same performance out of the 2700 ram that I should? or will putting it in a 2100 max slot mean a decrease in performance?

Are there any recommended settings you suggest I try first (so I don't overdo it :P )?

Cheers again

Comment

Awwwwww man no responses all night.....

Wiggo please please please please answer the questions on the above post ....Please

I don't have the net at home I have to come into uni to check my posts or mail y'see.

if I don't get a response soon |I might not have the guts to try overclocking this weekend and i'll have to wait till monday :no:

Comment

Sorry m8 but I do have to sleep sometimes. :D

Using PC2700 will not decrease your performance but will likely increase it as timings can be faster (try to buy CAS2 if ya can) but you'll definately have more headroom for overclockin' plus run the memory faster than the FSB. PC2100 is spec'd at 133MHz which is the same speed as the FSB but PC2700 is spec'd to run at 166MHz (FSB + HostClk) which properly opens the memory bandwidth for optimum performance. PC3200 is spec'd at 200MHz and this is what ya should at least run for the better overclockin' results as it's very unlikely that your mobo will be able to push this speed memory past it's spec's so it will in no way hinder the overclock (this is the reason that I use PC3200 and PC3500). :devil win
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
          X