Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default search engine in IE6 - changing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default search engine in IE6 - changing it?

Typing a word into the IE6 address bar results in a search on the MSN network. Is there anyway of changing the default search engine? I'd like it to be google.

I have already installed a google reg edit which changes the IE search button parameters, but I can't see any way of changing address bar parameters

I'm pretty sure it can be done, because recently some software I installed made the default search engine "ask jeeves".. (which I thought was crap).
    I can't remember what software it was, but it must be somehow possible to make this change?

Edit - Also, if you hit the search button > customize > autosearch settings, it gives you an option of searching MSN.. or nothing! There's no way of adding a new search engine and it only lists MSN.

I'm putting this tweak in my upcoming 2nd WinXP Tweak Guide...so hold on buddy!
    My Machine

Comment

Oh come on now PersianImmortal - give the fellow a little preview on that article. He did ask nicely after all and no doubt would put it to good use.

LOL
      That's about the best 1 could say for "Ask Jeeves", a pity that someone would waste time DLing software like that. You have my sympathy.
      imagine, somebody actually took time to code that:rolleyes:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

This thread at www.wopr.com might help.

Comment

Unfortunatley the instuctions on that link don't work for me, and the regedit intructions that a little bird just sent me don't work either. (Well they don't work for me at least)

There's a screen capture in that link that shows someone's computer with search engine choices at Saerch button > Customize > Autosearch settings :

But on my system (win xp, IE6) There is only one choice - MSN.
          I'm sure it's a registery thing.. can someone please go into regedit and capture what their registry contains at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search
          Mine contains not much at all :(

Comment

Ok Ok, I'll take time out from writing the XP Part 2 guide to post it here! Believe me, it's long and tedious sorting out the many non-working tweaks from those that work, then organising them and writing clear instructions on how to use them!

Here's how I got Google on my search screen in IE. Note that I haven't got a list of search engines, but I don't use any of the others so I don't care ;)

Use Regedit (Start>Run>Regedit) and edit all of these entries (note you don't need quotes around the web addresses). If these entries don't exist, create them as new Strings:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Search Page=http://www.google.com
            Search Bar=http://www.google.com/ie

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL

""=http://www.google.com/keyword/%s

(Create a new string and call it "")

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

SearchAssistant=http://www.google.com/ie

Follow these instructions exactly, make sure you leave out the quotes around the web addresses. It works for me in IE6 with SP1, not that SP1 will make any difference.

Let me know if it works for you.
            My Machine

Comment

won't a nice google bar work for you?
              in any case people love to fiddle around with registry...:p
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

PersianImmortal I've followed everything you posted there exactly, and IE still refuses to search anything other than MSN from the address bar.

Asklepios Nah I don't want the google bar, I want google from IE addy bar and I'm determined to get it..

This is driving me insane :cry:

Comment

Actually you're right spectrix. In my rush to get back to writing my guide I didn't read closely that you want Google to be the default search engine from your Address Bar, not the search window.

I've just had a good look around, and to be honest I don't think you can turn Google into the default address bar search without some type of script. Registry editing won't do it.

I'll keep looking and if i find the answer, I'll put it in my guide.
                  My Machine

Comment

ARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The thing is.. on most people's computers you seem to be able to do this - see screen capture in my previous post. Mine has the option to chosse MSN or nothing, where as other people can choose lots of engines.

Also see this site .. it has the same instructions as the screen capture above.

Comment

alright spectrix...lets not get so :(
                      if i got u right...u r getting a screen a like this one...
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                      ======================
                      =======================
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

There is no customize button out there just cos you are already searching with a search companion (the thing that the tip wants you to do in the link you attached).
                        anyways you can get the desired results...just follow the steps...
                        Click on that "Change Preferences" link.
                        In next screen click on "Change Internet search behaviour".
                        Now click on the radio button that says..."With Classic Internet search".
                        Click on "Ok" and close the IE window.
                        Follow all the steps that are provided by that link now and you will be on track.
                        I feel that this is quite a long method to do it and there must be a more reasonable way to do the same job but right now i could find just this one.
                        another thing that i would like to mention is that no matter what search engine you chose, you will be redirected from msn only. you won't know about it but msn will search for you using google's engine. You will get results from google...don't worry about that.
                        I hope it will give you the desired result...:cheers:
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

======================
                        =======================
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yep I've done all that, the problem is that it only lists different search egines in the left hand pane (for searching with the search key)

Once I go into the autosearch settings the only engine in the pull-down list is msn, or *blank*. See below.

And I've reinstalled IE6 3 times now, downloading it fresh from MS... I'm out of ideas..
                          Thanks for you help so far everyone.

Comment

Spectrix, as I said I'm fairly sure it can't be done for the Australian users of IE without a script. That's because our autosearch panel is actually loaded from the MSN network! So of course it's unlikely they'll allow any other search engine, and try as I might I can't find a way to make any registry changes which affect where it looks.

The only other alternative I can think of it to set your region to US and try following the methods described above.

I'll keep looking.
                            My Machine

Comment

Thanks dude.
                              Do you think it's possible to copy part of an american registry over to my system?

The customize panel in question is at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search - CustomizeSearch

Well I'm not sure if it's as simple as that, but if I delete that particular string value the customize panel ceases to exist.

Cheers

Joey.. from dodgy Oz

Comment

Working...
                              X