WINXP Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINXP Help

I have installed a program under the admin account and now i want the limited user accounts to have access to the programs that I install. However when I go to run these programs I get so errors or messages saying that I can't run the program. What am I doing wrong???????

Can you access .exe files from the users account. If you can then I have a solution otherwise someone else might help you pretty soon.
    Anyways presuming that you can access the .exe file for the program from explorer in this user account of yours, do it the following way.
    Right click on the file and click on Run as.... In the next window that pops up, chose a user from the list provided and enter the appropriate password. You should be on track now.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

What are the error messages you get?

Does the user have access to the directory the application is installed to?

Does the user have access to any parts of the registry that is requred for the application?

Does the user have access to the shortcut that you have created to the application?

Comment

for some reason, some apps will not run under a limited account on winxp, but will run under an admin account

i've never really bothered to figure out why, but it is common

Comment

I assume apps which make system-wide changes need to be installed and run by someone with admin privileges. E.g. tweaking utilities, customizing apps, etc.
          My Machine

Comment

You can often use Regmon and Filemon which are available here to see what parts of the registry or files the application is failing to get access to then give access to those parts to the user.

Comment

The only apps which might not be available to users on XP, that I can think of, are the ones which either install, delete or change the system files. All other apps should work seemlessly well.
              If you can provide us with somekinda error messages we will be in a better position to answer your q.
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
              X