Newbie Overclocking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Overclocking Questions

Seeing that the thread "Overclockin Ready to Begin" was already getting long, I decided to start a new one instead of jumping on the bandwagon :thumb: . I just read the new P4 overclocking guide and WOW did it help :wow: . So, I finally got some "testicular fortitude" and pressed the little F2 key and took a little look-see at my BIOS. Here's my comps specs and here's what I saw:

I have a Dell 8200 purchased in Nov. 2001 (relative to the technology that was coming out then)

It has:

P4 1.9ghz processor
    256mb RDRAM 16 bit PC800
    64mb GF2 mx/mx400 w/ TV Out
    I have no clue what the mobo is

When I opened the BIOS (Version A01, if that helps), here's what I saw:

There's a long list of stuff, like system options and settings, at hard ware, it looked like this:

System Memory.....................256 MB RDRAM
    AGP Aperture.........................128MB
    CPU.......................................<ENTE R>

Well, first I opened up the RAM (hit enter) and a window popped up, it looked like this

Systerm Mem. Channel Speed: 400mhz

RIMM Channel Devices Capacity
    1 8 128mb Non-ECC
    2 8 128mb Non-ECC

Ok, first bunc of questions. All the text was white, so I dont think there's anythin I can change. The speed was at 400mhz, wtf. I know advertised speeds are never what RAM is set at, but 50%!? . How on earth could I change this? SHould I d/l the latest BIOS version (where would I get that anyways)?

I hit enter on AGP Aperture...128mb and nothin happend...???:confused:

Then I hit enter on CPU, and another windo popped up, and it looked like this:

CPU Speed - Normal
    Bus Speed - 100mhz
    Processor 0ID - F12
    Clock Speed - 1.9ghz
    Cache Size - 256 KB (p.s. its Level 2 Cache: 256 KB Intergrated)

Ok, Bus Speed down to Cache size was all in blue text, which I think means it can be changed (schwing :D ). It looks like my multiplier is 19, and 100mhz seems low, so maybe I can get that up. Here's the prob. I have no clue where my voltage settings are, nevermind if I can change em, nor can I find my processor temp.

Well, that's all I could find, I'll look hard again. Anyone with any suggestions or opinions HELP PLEASE! Anyone else with the same system (or close to it), if oyu want info too, jump on the bandwagon, or if you have more info than I do, pleace post it! Thx in advance for any advice, it's deeply appreciated cause I'm a newbie! Thx, : peace2: Mista K6.

ITs a dell!!! ure never gonna overclock a dell.You'll have to flash the bios in order to overclock that and you'll need to know wot motherboard u have to do that:devil:

Comment

ahhhh damn that's what I was afraid of :scream: . I've heard some about how Dells are really restricted, which was fine when I bought this PC b/c I was a TOTAL newb, and I've learned alot by messing around with this one. Anywho, please explain this "flashing of the BIOS" I've heard the term before, but I have no clue what it is. Also, how can I find out what kind of mobo I have? Btw, if this helps, I'm running a Windows XP Home Edition OS. Also, what about the blue text stuff, is that customizable? Thx, keep posting everyone : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Basically 99% of name brand PC's have had these functions newted so as to keep service calls and claims to a miminum. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yup, its a dell, dude. Maybe the board has a manufacturer and part number on it, take a look.

Comment

Flashing is not all that hard but its consequences if done wrong..is well...PAPERWEIGHT!

If that system was self built i would tell ya to take a look at you Motherboards manual. In your case there is no manual there fore the instruction on how to that specific motherboard Dell is using not accessable. You might find out the motherboard's manufacture but i still would stay away from that stuff...and you will prolly void warranties Dell included. Just wait out a few years...until you build your own. Thos are my :2cents:
            - Damien

Comment

Yah, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Although my warranty with Dell already ran out (I got the one year one, the lowest you can buy), it sounds like I'm screwed. This summer I'm getting some new RAM (512 mb of 32 bit PC1066) and a new graphics card (128mb nVidia, dont know what I exactly want just yet). SHould I get a new mobo and BIOS installed too? J/w. Also, I d/l coolbits, cause I thought at least I could overclock my graphics card a little. I have a GeForce 2 MX/MX400 w/ TV Out. I installed Coolbits, and took a look see at the menu. There are obviously two sliders, one for core clock frequency, and the other for memory clock frequency. The core clock slider runs from 150mhz to 220 mhz. The memory clock slider runs from 0mhz to 100mhz. This is where I'm stuck. What should go where? are their any proper ratios I should be using between the two. I mean, havin the the core clock at 220 and teh memory clock at 0 seems a little off... So, where should I go from here? Any help or advice is much appreciated, thx, Mista K6 : peace2:

Comment

The fact is, that most of these PC's purchased from brand-name manufacturers use mobos and other components that are made to their own specs.

So, while it may be an Intel manufactured motherboard, Dell has enough buying power to have X# of thousand made just for them.
                It is not at all uncommon for them to contract a shortcut or 2 in the motherboard for the purpose of saving money.

Even if you track down the motherboard, Intel will not support it - they will simply refer you to Dell for any and all support, including the BIOS.
                It is quite possible that the BIOSs available on the Intel site may not even function at all with that motherboard (if you are really brave you could try it and see, but there are no guarantees)

The chances of Dell releasing a BIOS revision that will enable overclocking functions is less than 0 (zero).
                If you choose to pursue overclocking this PC, more power to you:thumb:

But, if you should end up with a PC that won't boot, don't be too terribly shocked:cry:

You just don't realistically purchase OEM PCs with the expectation of being able to achieve a reasonable, if any amount of overclocking abilities.

Not good news I know, but that is the way of the world young Padewan.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yah, I know I screwed up :p , lol. The whole thing is, I think I'm not even going to bother overclocking anything until this summer. Then I'll replace my RAM, Card, and mobo, b/c as of now, there's too many restrictions and complications to do it right. That's what I get for being naive and listening to steve (Dude! You're getting a Dell!) :cry: . Anywho, let me throw this one in the air. If I get a new mobo, would that enable me to install new BIOS, etc. and therefore throw away all of Dell's restrictions? basically I want to have a good PC. I think my CPU is fine (1.9 ghz, 100mz x 19 multiplier) and I could overclock that a tad. I def need new RAM and a new card. maybe if I got a new mobo, I could tweak the new gear I get... I dunno, you people tell me what would be the best move here, I'm open to any suggestions. Thx for the help already, peace : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Make sure that Dell Case is ATX (prolly is ). With a new mobo you prolly won't need to Flash Anything until you really need it. Flashing should only be done if there is a Major bug fixed or you want feature that your older BIOS Version didn't have, like a accepting a new Processor. But when you go off buying a mobo make sure it can take that 1.9 i most of them do.
                    - Damien

Comment

It's quite possible you could end up building a new PC.
                      Some of those OEM motherboards/cases won't conform to the true ATX standards. You'd have to check and see if a true ATX mobo would even fit in that case.
                      Again, don't be shocked if it doesn't.

It gets rather bizarre at times:wow:

I don't think you screwed up at all - you bought a system that brought you to this point in time. Fact is, you have simply grown in knowledge/experience, and are ready to move onwards/upwards.
                      Congratulations!
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Son of a... Well, here's the thing, back in Nov. 2001, this thing cost me $1,500; a pretty penny, but it was close to top-notch then. Now if barely plays most new games well. For instance, in playing UT2k3, my settings are 800x600 w/ 32 bit coloring and normal settings. I play w/ 15 bots on the Tokara Forest Level, and my fps goes down to 18 at a time, ouch :cry: . The whole thing is, I def need an upgrade. Right now my CPU (at 1.9ghz) is still kinda fast, because it was the fastest available at that time. Essentially, the biggest problems right now are RAM and my GF2 card, both need to be replaced. Instead of adding on another two 128mb modules of 16 bit PC800 RAM to get 512 mb, I could spend another $80 or so and get a 512mb chip of 32 bit PC1066. Signifcicantly faster, and not a bad deal :thumb: . So then comes the graphics card: a GF2 MX/MX 400 w/ TV out. Ouch, its one of the worst 64mb cards out there, but its all I could afford. I was thinking of upgrading to a faster 128mb card, like a GF4Ti4200 or higher. THose two def need to be done. My question is how hard would it be for me to do it myself, or should I pay the local comp shop to do it for me. Is there any reprogramming I'd have to do for my comp to accept the new harware? As of now, the parts alone will cost about $340-$360. Then should I upgrade my CPU and my mobo? I dunno what to do here, and I'm kind of lost. It would be nice to get a new mobo so that I cna overclock the new hardware that I get. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm not going to do this till this summer, b/c I still need my comp for school work, so I have time to think and do more research. Thx in advance for any help. Peace : peace2: Mista K6.

Comment

Working...
                        X