Need help w/Water cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/Water cooler

I decided this weekend to try and quiten my PC by following some other members lead and going down the water cooling road. The fans on my PC were really starting to drive me mad

The first thing that I did was to remove all the fans. The one on the processor and graphics card were no problem but the one in the power unit was a bugger to get out.

The most difficult part was sealing all the ventilitation openings in the PC case with silicon. I also put silicon all around the joints on the PC case. The smell of silicon was dreadful but when my wife complained I told her to be patent as it will be worth it when we have a completely silent PC.

Because I had completely sealed the PC case the only opening near top was the DVD drive. So I opened that and put the small hose I had purchased specially for the job into the DVD drive as far as it would go. With what I can only describe as great excitement and anticipation, I turned on the water. It really is amazing just how long it took before the case was complete full, and boy was it heavy. That didn't really bother me as I didn't intend to be moving the PC anyway.

The big moment had arrived so I called in my wife and mother in law (who was visiting) and I announced "prepare to hear nothing!" and flicked the switch on the socket on the wall.

Before I could even press the power button on front of the PC, with a loud bang, the whole place was plunged into darkness

I knew that it was only the tripswitch so I told my onlookers not to panic and I ran out to the hall to turn the trip switch back on. But can u believe it, it wouldn't stay on. After five attempts I decided to try unplugging the PC and would you believe...yes the trip switch stayed on. My conclusion: the PC must have in some way been causing the problem.

After about an hour of tries I finally decided to abandon the whole idea of water cooling and emptied the water out of the PC, put back in the fans (except the fan in the power unit, I had broken that one getting it out) and tried the pc AGAIN. IT STILL CAUSED THE TRIP SWTICH TO BLOW!

My PC is completely shagged thanks to stupid suggestions that I got on this forum. What the hell am I going to do now. I spent two hours last night with a hair drier inside the PC case and it still trips the switch.

You have got to be kidding. If you, in this rare case, are telling the truth, then you have no right to blame people on this forum for stupid suggestions because no one here would give you advice telling you to put a hose in your PC and turn it on. That's just crazy. You have got to be kidding..... I just don't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfin
      You have got to be kidding. If you, in this rare case, are telling the truth, then you have no right to blame people on this forum for stupid suggestions because no one here would give you advice telling you to put a hose in your PC and turn it on. That's just crazy. You have got to be kidding..... I just don't believe it.
      .......ditto......

Originally posted by Padyn
      My PC is completely shagged thanks to stupid suggestions that I got on this forum.
      I think what they ment by "sticking hose in the computer" was TUBING! so that the water can flow over "MOUNTS" not fill the PC up with water like it was a tank....

Your PC is dead man...........toss it....

Comment

Wow, it only seems logical not to do what you did...but i guess that went down with your PC.

Anyway check and see if the PSU is on the 220 mark if it is put it back to the 115.

But it seems like it no good anymore.

Oh and plz link us to those threads that gave you awful suggestions.
        - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
          I think what they ment by "sticking hose in the computer" was TUBING! so that the water can flow over "MOUNTS" not fill the PC up with water like it was a tank....
          Quote from Padyn - "Because I had completely sealed the PC case the only opening near top was the DVD drive. So I opened that and put the small hose I had purchased specially for the job into the DVD drive as far as it would go. With what I can only describe as great excitement and anticipation, I turned on the water. It really is amazing just how long it took before the case was complete full, and boy was it heavy. That didn't really bother me as I didn't intend to be moving the PC anyway."

He clearly states that the PC filled up with water and that it was heavy. I don't think he meant tubing. But, who knows what this person is thinking. His post says it all. And even if he did go with a credible water cooling solution, you should never remove the fan(s) from the PSU, as we all know. I tend to believe he is just making the whole thing up. We'll see if he posts a reply to anything we've said.

Comment

I was referring to the tubing used to move the water from say the pump to the CPU or some other various PC component

Comment

In this person's situation, his pump is provided by his city's water district, which in turn, pumps the water to his "mount", which in this case, IS his case.

Comment

lol...hahaha ya.....what was Padyn thinking?

I mean I remember being taught as a kid "water and electricity don't mix" what happened here? *shakes head*

Comment

Nice story. Tell it to Readers Digest!

:rolleyes:

Comment

OMG!!!!! you have got to be kiddin me....ok,ok let me get this stratight he water proofed his case so no water could seep out then he proceeded to fill his case with water.A mother board filled with water! and he stuck the water hose in the dvd drive slot? dude! who on earth told you to put water in your case thats like putting a hair dryer in a bath tub!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :wow: :wow: :eek: :eek:

on your sig you only have one comp listed...how are you posting?:no:

Comment

*shakes head and looks down* just like metallica said......"sad but true"

could this be why he hasn't replyed to us? maybe he's....*looks around* dead? :flames:
                      lol jk Padyn :o

Comment

So Padyn....I'll bet the temps were cool though, eh?:laugh: Nice joke...

Comment

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                          :laugh: :laugh:

Omg man I swear I have never ever laughed so mutch as i did reading this thread!!

I actually bumpted my beer can and spilled it way over the floor...!
                          This is freakin' hilarious!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Someone dial 911 I think I'm having a heartattack...!!!

:wow: :wow:

Comment

I think it's a joke or something becasue no one who is skilled enough to be pokin around in his case with water cooling could have really went trough with it. I mean how could one get the idea to fill an electronic peice of equipment with water:thumb:

Comment

lol you'd be amazed what some people can do..!

:laugh:

joke or not this is killing me...! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X