How much $$ for a DVD-RW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much $$ for a DVD-RW?

These things have certainly come down in price since I last looked into them! The best deal I've seen so far is $1010 for an IDE Pioneer DVD-RW KIT. The blank DVD's are still a killer though!:( $19 for a DVD-R, and $29 for a DVD-RW. Anyone know of anything cheaper?

Not until they become more mainstream. DVD-RW are still a new technology, so come with a high entry fee.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      Not until they become more mainstream. DVD-RW are still a new technology, so come with a high entry fee.
      What Darth said is spot on, If I were you I'd wait another year before I ventured into the DVD-R scene.

Comment

Also, all the companies researching recordable DVD have competing standards, so this also makes chooing a "standard" drive that much harder :(
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Isn't there a Philips DVD-RW out there for arround 500? or is it just DVD-R? Can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by nVladik
            Isn't there a Philips DVD-RW out there for arround 500? or is it just DVD-R? Can't remember.

If that's US$500 it's around A$1000 - brashquido is from Australia ;)
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

i have a poineer DVD-RW. you can now pick em up for about $900 in some places. the DVD-R media is getting cheaper, Princo have em for $11 ex. with the poineer you get a DVD-RW when ya register the drive and at 4.7Gb per disc i have never needed another one.

You do have to check what the drive does though, some will just say its a DVD burner when its just DVD-RAM not DVD-RW. There is also nother brand making an affordable one that does both DVD-RW and DVD-RAM i think its panasonic.

Comment

Hmmmm......... that's almost cheap enough to seriously consider buying one!! I was looking at the Pioneer one. I might wait 6 months and see what the status is...:D

Comment

oh forgot to mention, at the moment one of my suppliers is offering a pack of 10 blank DVD-R's with the drive.

Comment

I agree with albinus, now is not the time to buy a DVD-R, wait till a format is agreed upon, or at least a drive that can write any format.

Comment

Working...
                    X