some input please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some input please

My new build doesn't like to boot past its flashy mobo logo screen. Upon turning on it will hang on that screen, but I can jiggle the power switch and after a dozen gut wrenching tries it'll continue on into boot up.
    After a walkthrough with FIC tech help it was concluded that the board may have a corrupted BIOS chipset which I replaced today, but now nothing happens at all besides my fans and LEDs. No beeps, nada.

I have it stripped down for diagnostics, but heres what I am looking at :
    FIC AN19e mobo with AMD 2600 Tbrd and CoolerMaster
    1 x 512 MB DDR
    an old Nvidia2 which I'll elaborate on
    Antec 1080 case with bundled 430 watt PSU

It would seem as though this problem came about after the installation of the original video card's software - an ATI All In Wonder 9700 pro - possibly wrong version driver for one of its TV apps. ? This could have corrupted my BIOS?:wow:
    I've properly cleared the CMOS and now with new BIOS chip i'm really stuck.

as i see it there are 4 possible scenarios :

1. faulty replacement BIOS chip - static dmg?
    2. wrong replacement BIOS chip - although it fits the number sequence is different from the original's.
    3. installation procedure of chipset - cleared CMOS with new chip, but am I missing something?
    4. Mobo is not accepting the "Power Good" signal - not logical since the problem was first seen after my goofy video card software installation.
    5.?

thank you in advance for your input.

Comment

I can't see how drivers could screw up your bios as they only interact with the os. Have you closely examined (maybe a magnifying glass) the AGP slot for damage? Can you borrow a pci vid card to test with?

Comment

Thank you, bigjackusa, I'll inspect the AGP to the best of my ability. After re-installing the original BIOS chipset I do at least get the same logo screen hang.

I should clarify the fact that I can boot up to Windows but only after many, many jiggles of the power switch (not quite Off, less than Restart, but just a flicker = yikes) which suggests to me a problem other than BIOS. Its just very strange to me that the problem started after the 9700's software installation and knowing that the card's VGA BIOS rubs elbows with the mobo's BIOS... well my doubts and suspicions grew.

I would like to get one question out of the way before I call FIC again : how do I test the Power Good without switching it out for another PSU?

Perhaps a fresh mobo with an upgraded PSU is the only answer. :grr:

Comment

Try another PSU in it as ya just may have gottin' a dud. ;)

Comment

OK I've got a new supply on 2nd day - Kingwin KWI-450WAS which seems pretty stable. Thanks for the advice. I'll update this thread when its in.

Comment

umm, have you tried putting an ohmmeter on that switch, checking the wires and all?

Could it be shorting you reckon:?:
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

No. I have an ohmmeter but I do not really know how to use it nor how to go about testing a power supply with it. I would very much like to know how though if you would like to explain (I did look around online for info but came up short). Thanks.

Comment

I'm guessing that PSU has the possibility of returning it yet, so no need to go poking around in it.

The ohmmeter in it's simplest use, checks for unimpeded flow of electricity.
                  It contains a battery which sends a current through the circuit being tested and determines how much of the current goes through.
                  Place the 2 leads from the meter together, then using the dial (often found on the side or front) turn the needle to 0 (zero).

Then when you place it on opposite ends of a circuit, or component like a switch for example, free flow of current will read zero -- no current will peg out at the other end of the scale (infinity).

Of course, you might have one of those new-fangled digital contraptions. They work exactly the same just using a display instead of the needle.

Good switch in the on position = 0
                  Good Switch in the off position = infinity (that sideways 8 thingy)
                  Good wire=0
                  Bad wire=something other than 0 or infinity

That's the basics anyway.

Oh yeah, always make sure there is no power to the circuit being tested --- that's bad on an ohmmeter:thumb:
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hey, thank you Mr. C - I'll keep this as reference. I suppose that I should look into a basic electronics for dummmies book if I continue with building and tweaking.

If the supply is a dud then I guess ripping into it might be a bad idea for warranty purposes. An extra PSU kicking around is not a bad thing :)

Comment

Replace your power supply first... you are doing the right thing...

Of course, here are a few things I would also want to look at...

First, your main bios (original) was booting to the windows screen after many attemps with the power button...
                      that tells me the bios is probably working, but you have something else hanging the system...

1. Check and make sure all cards are seated correctly and firmly
                      2. Check all your power plugs and make sure they are connected firmly
                      3. Make sure nothing is grounded which would cause the motherboard not to operate properly
                      4. enter your bios settings, disable a few things and then go back and reboot and see if you notice any difference.
                      5. Take the memory out and see if the system beeps at you.
                      6. with the new bios, try and remove the graphics card and then boot. See if it beeps. If it does, Id try and find an old AGP card and use that to start... sometimes the new cards will not work in your system until the bios is updated... they could have sent an older version of the bios chip with intent that you would flash the bios...
                      7. (question) did you flash your first bios? Did you flash it with windows up or did you boot up with a Dos floppy?
                      8. If all fails, strip the computer... install one thing at a time and see if the system beeps or starts...
                      9.. if that fails, time for new mobo and / or pc

hope this helps

Comment

Thank you all for your contributions. I've determined that my PSU was fine and spent an hour with FIC tech help on Monday. After walking me through diagnostics he gave me a return ticket and Tigerdirect is exchanging the mobo for me.

Unfortunately, I will never know for sure if it was something that I did in my build or just a flaw in the mobo.

Thanks again.

Comment

Is it just me or is the rate at which online stores ship faulty motherboards or video vards increasing? I'll go and consult my tech guys about this:group:

Comment

I buy OEMs where I can but this mobo was not listed as an OEM. However, where there is heavy price competition online its likely that we may see suspicious trends.

Comment

Working...
                            X