X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home upgrade Problems

I'll take on #'s 2 & 3.

You can get Bootdisks for Windows XP at;

The custom disk is worth a try, as it is a single floppy - the ones from MicroSoft are a 6 disk set.

Yes. You can install from an upgrade version without having another OS installed - in fact, that is the best way.
    When the XP install checks for a previous version, remove the XP Upgrade CD and replace it with a qualifying Windows OS disk - ME is indeed an OS which qualifies.
    After it takes a look at the disk, replace it with the XP disc and continue with the install.

A bit of help I hope, I'll leave the remainder for someone a bit more qualified than myself.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'll try and cover Q.1 and 4.

Q1. Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and then go to View>Show Hidden Devices (select it).

Now look under System Devices and the ACPI Power Button should be one of the devices. If it's disabled, enable it. If you don't see any ACPI references you may have to reinstall Windows to gain ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) functionality, like being able to switch off automatically.

Q4. If you've formatted your XP computers with the NTFS file system (which is good), your ME machine can't see or interact with NTFS systems as it's not compatible with Windows ME's FAT32 file system.
      My Machine

Comment

Ta every1!

Mr. C

Thx for the link...i now have a :eek: 6 disk boot set (brill). I tryed to install XP on a formated hard disk. I used the ME startup disk chucked in the XP disk f:\setup ...and i got a message saying that this program doesn't like DOS. So i had to install ME 1st before doing a full install of XP.

PersianImmortal

I did as you said and i don't have an ACPI Power Button power button option :(. Is there a way i can install the ACPI Power Button with out reinstalling XP?

Does any1 know what a 'NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node' is? (i found is when XP showed all in Device Manager.

My computer is NTFS formated, however the other XP is still FAT32 formated and he can't see the ME system:mad: ....any ideas?

Thx for your help...the cheques is in the post! :D

BF

Comment

If not after fdisk'n the hard drive with ya startup disk enable booting from the CDROM and boot directly from the XP CD as it's its own boot disk and will partition, format and setup all on it's own.
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Check and make sure that the workgroup names on all of the computers are spelled [exactly] the same on all of them. The names are case sensitive too.

Comment

They all have identical wookgroup names (MSHOME - the MS default)
              When i run 'net view' in a DOS prompt all 3 computers can see each other...
              AH!
              plz help.....i want to reach the CD-RW!! :grr:

Comment

well i would take over on #2 and #4. must be thinking that every one is taking bits and pieces of your problem but anyways.

anyways...
                #2 i found another way of making a bootable floppy in winXP.
                On a formatted floppy, copy the Ntldr, Ntdetect.com and boot.ini files from the root of the boot drive. If you are using a SCSI hard disk, copy the driver for the SCSI controller to the floppy and rename it to Ntbootdd.sys. YOu can now start your computer by booting from this floppy disk.

#4 Here is an M$ article regarding network connectivity. Do see that all the PC's are on same subnet mask. Try to ping XP computers from the one on ME and vise-versa. If there is any problem, then you might be having problems while entering the IP's and all.
                I m no networking guy...but FA-MAS might be able to help. Where is he?
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                X