Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring software for BEFSR41 router

Hello all,

I have Optus Cable at home, connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router and then to two computers; my own and my flatmates.

I am the computer geek of the house and I really only connect him up as a courtesy so he can browse and get email. He doesn't generally download much.

However I have noticed I reach the 3GB limit a lot quicker with him sharing the bandwidth. So what I want to know, is there any software or method of monitoring how much data is ;

A) coming through the router
    B) coming to my computer
    C) going to his computer

If I was using ICS I know this would be quite simple. I cannot find any such function in the Linksys software (html control panel thingy). Anyone know if this is possible and if so, how so?

Thank you very much

Yossarian
    :)

What OS are you using on your machine?

Comment

WinXP Professional with SP1 and all other updates installed.

Comment

well as far as bandwidth, you can see what is in yours by going to admin tools and network monitor... the other thing you can do is have your system as a proxy server. This is done by adding a second NIC card and then a hub.,... have him connect to your pc and then he will share your internet connection.. that away you can tell what he is using...

otherwise, the linksys has a feature where you can see what sites he is going to by turning on the log... you can also download 3rd party monitoring programs that would probably do a better job and you can do this by going to download.com and searcing the networking software area...

its sad they only give you 3 gigs of downloads....

Comment

Thanks Firewalker for the info, but I am pretty much aware of all you have said. Basically I want to know if there is any method available to monitor bandwidth through the Linksys Router. Setting up my computer as a proxy server defeats the purpose of buying and using a broadband router. If it can't be done I'll put up with the limitations of the BEFSR41. However if it can be done I'd love to know how.

I have downloaded Link Logger as far as monitoring the ports and addresses visited and sites trying to gain access to my router. But I don't really care where my mate browses, just how much he downloads.

Thanks for the advice anyway,

Yossarian

Comment

What you're talking about doing is dependant on the router. If the outer hasn't the function built in, you either can't do it or have to do it another way. So basically, with the way you want it o work, it's not going to. Unless the router's manufacturer built the support in or has provided a firmware upgrade that'll do that. I say what you should do is get another machine with 1 NIC and a switch. And set yourself up a router. That way you can still have the routing functions, and you could add different functions by installing or configuring software. Also the machine doesn't have to be powerful.

Later

Comment

That is what I was trying to say... I was giving you other ways that you could do it... The thing is the only thing you can do with the linksys is turn on the logging feature... but that will only tell you where he is going.... other than that... you have to become the focus point for your connection to find out the amount of bandwitdth being used.

Comment

Well thanks all for the info.

I think i will just have to put up with not knowing. I can check my usage online, I'll just have to keep a closer eye on that in case he downloads some large files when there is not much bandwidth allowance left.

Thanks anyway,

Yossarian.

Comment

will these things work for you? :?:
                  both are sharewares and you need to buy them after 30 days but they are excellent bandwidth loggers.

DU Meter
                  and
                  Telekomat .NET
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                  X