NO VIDEO, Whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO VIDEO, Whats wrong?

I just put my new system together but I can't get a display. I know the video card works becuase I tested it in a different system. My keyboard does not light up either when the system is powered on. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Also after I push the power button and turn the system on, I cannot shut it down using the power button. It has to be unplugged.

System specs;
    P4 2.4 ghz
    ATI 9500 pro video
    1024 mb ddr 333 2700 ram (2 sticks of 512 mb for Dual channel)
    Gygabyte GA-88SQ800 motherboard
    Maxtor 120 gb harddrive
    DVD recorder
    Skyhawk Jupiter series case
    400 watt PSU (True)

Have ya cleared the CMOS yet? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
      Have ya cleared the CMOS yet? :?:
      Clear the CMOS? How?

Comment

Your motherboard manual should explain this procedure required for your particular board as this varies from board to board. ;)

Comment

Your motherboard manual should explain this procedure required for your particular board as this varies from board to board. ;)
          Can I clear the CMOS without being able to get a display?

Comment

Yes as it's done by a few methods on the motherboard itself (usually a jumper but not always). ;)

Comment

And remember to pull the power cord before moving the jumper. Leave it off till you move the jumper back.

Comment

Yes as it's done by a few methods on the motherboard itself (usually a jumper but not always). ;)

I guess the way to erase the CMOS on mine is to remove the battery for for 30 seconds then put it back in and power up.
                Unfortunatly that didn't change anything. Any other suggestions?
                I'm hoping I didn't get a bad board.

I'm puzzled why my keyboard does not even light up when the power is turn on and why I can't turn the system off by pressing the switch a second time (Maybe thats normal). All the wires from the case to the motherboard seemed to match up so I think I have all that stuff right. When I hit the power switch to power up, the monitor screen will cycle to a black background but then goes right back to the monitors defualt screen as if nothing was connected to it. I know my videocard, monitor, and keyboard all work becuase I tried them on other systems, I also tried a different video card in this system just to make double sure that was not the problem.

Comment

Time to pull the mobo and test it on the bench. If it works on the bench, then it was probably shorted to the case somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                    Time to pull the mobo and test it on the bench. If it works on the bench, then it was probably shorted to the case somewhere.

I tried what you suggested but the same thing happened, I think my motherboard is bad.:(

Comment

A similar thing happen to me a week ago...where he mobo was burning up cpu's 4 of them until we found out it was the mobo doing the probem...check if your cpu still work ...try on another mobo.

My buddy would clear cmos but it would post cuaz it ha burnt up the cpu so he go another rocessor and cleared the cmos b4 starting up...and it seemed to work for him...
                      - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by FLaCo
                        A similar thing happen to me a week ago...where he mobo was burning up cpu's 4 of them until we found out it was the mobo doing the probem...check if your cpu still work ...try on another mobo.

My buddy would clear cmos but it would post cuaz it ha burnt up the cpu so he go another rocessor and cleared the cmos b4 starting up...and it seemed to work for him...

Unfortunatly this is the only 478 pin motherboard I own, My other two P4 systems are 423 pin and my 3rd is AMD. I think I'll reorder a new board and start from there.

Comment

I found out what the problem was. The company that I order some of my parts from (STRA8BUY.com) sent me the wrong 400 watt power suppy for my Motherboard. I put my old Compaq 300 watt PSU in and it works like a charm. Infact I'm installing Windows XP right now.

After taking a look at one of my old P4 systems, I noticed that there was one extra 4 pin power plug-in connecting to the motherboard. My new PSU didn't have one of these adapters on it, so thats why I didn't notice the plug-in on my board before. Thanks to everyone for the advice.:thumb:

Comment

Yes not havin' that extra power delivered to the board will do that in most cases.

How long before ya crank that sucker up? :D

Comment

How long before ya crank that sucker up? :D
                              I'll be spending the night tweaking .

Comment

Working...
                              X