Maxtor 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor 80's

ok i am not trying to start hysteria again - moreso researching the probabilities..

I have 2 80Gb Maxtors, the newer of the 2 recently began producing this error in windows "delayed write failed at e:\$mft" or somefin like that... anyways i just backed all the data up, and started filling/emptying the drive to test it. not long into testing it started to run real slow until it failed altogether, no longer recognised by windows..

after a bit of playing around i decided to get it tested with a real util - somefin they used does a LLF and halts/notifies on finding any drive defect - none found, maxtor utils - none found...

so i got the drive back in my machine operating fine afaik (cant trust it with precious data yet)..

just last nite i was chatting on an IRC channel where everyone has large amounts of data stored, and discovered that many had also had this prob with maxtors, only they didnt get the drive goin - they replaced it with a new which has been fine, so with like 5 guys out of 60 all having seen that before, i was wondering how many others are out there...and if its going to be IBM.v2

Sorry m8 but I stay away from both IBM and Maxtor as I've swapped far too many faulty drives of both of them out of systems. :hammer:

Comment

In Maxtor's defense, I've had a 30GB and a 60GB Maxtor drive in my PC, both of them purchased when they were the biggest drives around, and I haven't had a problem with either. And my machine has been hauled around all over the place, dropped, smashed into a wall, etc... :)

Then again, I seem to be lucky with that PC. I've been running the whole thing ever since I built it off a 230W PSU.

Comment

a bit more looking around - i reckon maybe its a glitch in a batch/period, as i said, the newer one did this not the older one, hopefully im right coz i got all maxtors in my system, and ive been VERY happy with them until that happened, but i still trust maxtor...for now

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
          a bit more looking around - i reckon maybe its a glitch in a batch/period, as i said, the newer one did this not the older one, hopefully im right coz i got all maxtors in my system, and ive been VERY happy with them until that happened, but i still trust maxtor...for now
          I've got a WD2000JB running on a serial ATA controller (VIA, on a SOYO KT600 Ultra) that is giving up the same errors. It's degenerative during run-time, in that if you don't reboot eventually the drive becomes inaccessible by any of the other programs.

Anyone get anything on this?

Comment

Just by the way: I never had any problems with Maxtor-HDDs, and I'd always decide to buy a Maxtor HDD again.

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
              so with like 5 guys out of 60 all having seen that before, i was wondering how many others are out there...and if its going to be IBM.v2

I've mostly had and worked with Maxtor drives since Windows 95 and have never had a problem with any of them not even the computers I've work on for other people (A hardrive is a very reliable PC part considering how much its worked if you ask me). The 80Gb Maxtor drives that I have seem very fast and quite compared to some of the other brands I've run across.

Maybe you should call Maxtor about the drive to see what they think. For a big company their tech support was very good the last time I called them and believe me when it comes to companies that deal in computer parts most tech help really bites.:barf:

P.S. I just recently seen 2 Western Digital drives bite the dust but they were both made in 1997:rolleyes: . Other than that I've never had a bad haddrive to date but have formatted a pile of them due to viruses and file mishaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                For a big company their tech support was very good the last time I called them and believe me when it comes to companies that deal in computer parts most tech help really bites.
                Depends. If you have choices, you're better off. For example, the german MSI tech support really sucks, but the american one is fine. Oddly enough, it was even cheaper for me to call the american hotline than the german one.

Comment

I've heard stories of how maxtor's really used to suck back in the day (they had a cheapo rep). However, they now must have cleaned up their act, because they make a damn good hard drive. When my WD drive failed (from 2001) I replaced it with a 60GB maxtor. Both drives are extremely fast and quiet. I can't complain about them at all. They'll probably be faster once I can figure out how to change the acoustic management... Ah well, a project for me to do. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

My hard primary slave drive just died.

This happened to me just yesterday and tbh im pretty f***** pissed off about it. Not only does it contain many pieces of artwork which i spent ages making, but my unversity final year project is also on there and I am desperate to try and get it back.

The offending piece of hardware is the Maxtor ata 133 80GB. But get this.....this is the second time its happened. First time I got one from microdirect after a few months it died, so i took it back had to wait another month then got an exact replacement, now a couple of months down the line....same thing happened.

I am actually looking for someone who can offer me a solution to obtain the data from this drive.

heres what happened step by step. I was doing some work on my pc and everything was fine. I shut my pc down went out for a few hours came back turned the pc on and received the message

"Primary Slave hard disk failed" when the ide detection was running

at first i didnt notice the push f1 to continue so i started checking ide cables and mobo settings and i even tested it in another pc (same problem) so its pretty obvious the drive has died. Luckily it isnt my main drive so i can still boot into windows, but its not detected and I need the data on that drive.

It is detected by the bios and I've heard that it is possible to perform data retrieval Acts on drives that are detected in the bios..does anyone know anything more about this?

If anyone here has any ideas on what to do I will forever be in their debt if they offer a solution.

Comment

See if you can access it in dos.
                      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                      asus a7n8xe-dlx
                      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                      bfg 6800gt
                      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                      samsung dvdrw
                      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                      mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                      DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                      thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                      seagate sataII 500gb
                      evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                      samsung sata dvd-rw
                      2x1024 ocz black
                      logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Luckily two days down the road its decided to work again...if a bit slowly so ive taken this opportunity to back up all my data on it. Ill keep on using it till it fails again and then take it back to the shop for testing.....ive never had an ounce of good luck in my life...roll on 2004 :P

appreciate the help all the same

Comment

You're a lucky man that it decided to work again :thumb: . When my WD died, I had a research paper on it and I couldnt get it because it was in my documents which was "protected" when I tired to access it from my friends PC. I ended up ahving to search through the weeks trash for a rough draft I had printed so I could type it up again :shoot2: . Now I double back all my really important stuff, lesson learned. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Haven't had any such failures with Maxtors. They've been better to me Western Digitals lately.:cool:

Comment

Working...
                            X