Delayed Write Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed Write Failed

Just putting the finishing touches to my new system last night - installed all my programs, games etc. and tweaked everything. Played Mafia and Morrowind for an hour on max settings..everything sweeet (system details in link in sig).

Then wouldn't you know it on my next reboot I'd scheduled a checkdisk and once that was over, WinXP came up with "Dealyed Write Failure" multiple popups and now I can't get into XP.

I've used the recovery console FIXMBR and CHKDSK and still the same.

I'll reformat and go through everything again tonight...just wondering if others have experienced this, and whether it's a bad sign for my new 80GB Seagate Barracuda V (SATA) drive...
    My Machine

I can't say for sure as I haven't had the joy of that failure with SATA yet, but had one on my wife's machine with raid. Tried recovery console, repair installation, nothing worked. Reinstalled as new installation and no problems since. This was with a WD 80gb SE. It's my guess that it was a driver failure.

Comment

Well whatever it was, it took me 2 days to reformat, reinstall, copy everything onto the drive and set it up (tweaking etc.). Finally everything is sweet again :)

This time I used the Seagate Diskwizard 2003 utility to partition the drive, and that seems to have worked. For one thing my drive is quieter and much cooler during operation.

My guess would be that SATA drive owners better expect some glitches with WinXP until Longhorn comes along with native SATA support.
      My Machine

Comment

i duno if that was sata specific though - i experienced same problem with my maxtor 80, LLF fixed it up fine. one point to note is that the drive sits on a HPT370a controller, although not in raid config.

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
          i duno if that was sata specific though - i experienced same problem with my maxtor 80, LLF fixed it up fine. one point to note is that the drive sits on a HPT370a controller, although not in raid config.
          I think this is a SATA-related problem. I've got two drives, each running on a Soyo Dragon KT600 Ultra SATA controller; while my boot disc (WD800JB) doesn't register any such errors, my secondary disc (WD2000JB) starts acting up with this every time i do a big copy, large CD write, or large unzip operation. Once that starts happening, it does that every time a program other than Explorer tries to access the drive.

Help!

Comment

Working...
          X