AGP Aperture, yah, I'm a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP Aperture, yah, I'm a newb

Hey, I just have a quick question about AGP. In my BIOS (I have a Dell 8200 with an Intel, the BIOS are REALLY limited, so no overclocking :cry: ). In the settings, I can change somethin called the AGP Aperture from 32mb, to 64mb, to 128mb, to 256mb. does this correspong to AGP 1x, 2x, and 4x? I'm confused. its at 128mb right now, if 256mb will give me more speed, and its safe, I'd like to go and change it to that. Can someone give me some info on this? thx for any help. Mista K6

It is a setting that tells the sustem how much of your system memory may be allocated for use by the AGP port of your motherboard. The rule of thumb for this setting used to be 1/2 of your system memory, but if you just set it to 128MB then you'll have the best overall performance for this item.

Oh, and it does not have anything to do with the AGP speed factor. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

It also doesn't have anything to do with overclocking.

Comment

With modern video cards, having a high apature size can (and will) actually decrease performance. I honestly, wouldn't set it any higher than 1/4 of the amount of physical ram you have in your system, and only that much if it does not exceed 1/2 the video ram on your video card (providing it's something new (or rather, no more than a year old)).

Comment

Originally posted by Suicide
          With modern video cards, having a high apature size can (and will) actually decrease performance. I honestly, wouldn't set it any higher than 1/4 of the amount of physical ram you have in your system, and only that much if it does not exceed 1/2 the video ram on your video card (providing it's something new (or rather, no more than a year old)).
          :blah: :rofl:

Man why do you keep saying that stuff? The best way to set it is at the same amount your videocard has or half the amount of the physical ram in your computer.

In every machine I ever built Intel or Amd I always noticed a gain in performance by changing to this setting from the bios default which is 64 mb..

In the Amd setup I'm typing this on I use 512 Mb of ddr ram, and 128 mb on the geforce4, well first I used 128 mb as apperture, then I changed to 256 which is half of my ram and that got me better performance. Why should I lower it when it gives me a slower system..:?:

:cheers:

Comment

Just use wots best. either the same as ure vram or half ure total physical ram:thumb:

Comment

Every hardware setup will react differently but I'm certainly not gettin' some to build a system for me as their advice sux and most modern systems today will have probs with less than 128MB on this setting (yes tweaker this one person sprouts BS to often and I hope that he doesn't work for himself plus he should stick to Intel CPU's where he's not missinformin' ppl too much).

Hey Beff I think that ya may have another S.P.A.M. nomination here m8. ;)

Comment

It is my understanding that the ram amount listed in this setting in no way allocates or reserves ram for video use only. It only gives permission for video processes to use, up to and including, the specified amount of ram. I have also read several times that "modern" video cards will only rarely use more than 128mb of system ram, so there is no particular downside to using a value higher than 128mb and 128 should be the minimum setting to assure acceptable performance.

Comment

Sry about that Wiggo! I didn't know where else to put it, and since most people check here, I thought I'd get more views. Thanx for the infos. I have 768 mb of RDRAM, so I'm not worried about using it up. I def am going to put it up to 256mb, as there doesnt seems to be a downside to it. Thx for the help mates, peace out, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Hey n/p, just go for whatever setting gives you the best performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X