Windows is such a peice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows is such a peice...

Well I've had this error about a dozen times, each requiring a reinstall... Got it again about 3 hours ago, and decided it's bout time I learned how to fix this crap... Anyway, stupid error was "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system file missing or corrupt" or something similar... basically told me to put in my xp cd, reboot, boot from cd and hit 'r' at the first screen... But this seemed useless to me at first... Got to tinkering around and forgot about the original backups of all those files windows makes after the first successful boot (located in C:\WINDOWS\repair) .. Which was great, renamed my old system to system.old, and copied the backup system to the system32\config dir. Rebooted, and the machine actually booted... but ran into another problem. :( Thing kept telling me my license was invalid, which was weird. So, reactivating was fun to say the least ... I had to do an upgrade of sorts before I could reactivate, but finally... I'm here. Unfortunately, all that took out all my nice tweaks I had in the registry :(

I think my machine is trying to tell me something (this one the 2.53 has had the most problems with this type of error (3 in 2 months)... But only happens when I up my FSB from 185mhz to 190+ :/) 'tis weird like that. Oh well, good info to have.

Let me get this straight. You've got an extreme overclock (around 185+ FSB) and you basically corrupted your windows install from it, and you're now upset at windows? Hmmmm...: omg:

Anyway, while I'm tempted to delete this thread, I think it serves as a good example of why overclocking is not something people should take for granted. Don't ramp your system up to extremely out-of-spec FSBs and expect everything to be groovy.

As for getting all the WinXP tweaks back onto your system, I put every single XP performance tweak which works into my XP Guide 1 and all the remaining major visual/other tweaks in my XP Guide 2. How's that for handy?

/EDIT - forgot to add that it's highly likely your RAM cannot take being at much higher than 370 Mhz so if you keep increasing the FSB, while the CPU might work, the RAM will corrupt your data and lead to the errors you had. Buy better RAM if you want to go higher and/or reduce the timings.
    My Machine

Comment

LMAO. 3times!!
      I learned that after you reinstall and get everything in good "tweaked" order, you create an image. I personally use PQDI or PowerQuest DriveImage.
      that way anything goes wrong, pop in the PQDI floppies and restore in under an hour!

Hope you will too
      :cheers:

Comment

PSU's sag after a certain amount time (usually performin' better than rated to begin with) and combined with extreme o/c's is likely to develop these types of errors which is why I don't go the full hog on an o/c and just settle for a good one so wind it back a bit and the problem should go away (also remember that ya gettin' into your warmer part of the year where you are which will also add a twist to the equation).

Comment

i wouldn't say that i know why this might have happened but i did find a solution to it.
          look at this M$ Article.

well you might try the solution in the link and try getting that overclock to a nice stable state :cheers:
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
            Let me get this straight. You've got an extreme overclock (around 185+ FSB) and you basically corrupted your windows install from it, and you're now upset at windows? Hmmmm...: omg:

Anyway, while I'm tempted to delete this thread, I think it serves as a good example of why overclocking is not something people should take for granted. Don't ramp your system up to extremely out-of-spec FSBs and expect everything to be groovy.

As for getting all the WinXP tweaks back onto your system, I put every single XP performance tweak which works into my XP Guide 1 and all the remaining major visual/other tweaks in my XP Guide 2. How's that for handy?

/EDIT - forgot to add that it's highly likely your RAM cannot take being at much higher than 370 Mhz so if you keep increasing the FSB, while the CPU might work, the RAM will corrupt your data and lead to the errors you had. Buy better RAM if you want to go higher and/or reduce the timings.
            My ram is stable up to 438mhz (2.5-3-3-7) (tested, stable) .. My machine is stable to 3.515 100%, at 3.53 - 3.667 is when it freaks out.

But my whole thing here with the name of the thread was, in information I found online on this problem, i was told to delete the c:\windows\system32\config\system file (well rename it), then copy the C:\windows\repair\system file to the \windows\system32\config dir, reboot and that should fix the problem ... Well it didn't :) Had a problem with my license... That's what my whole issue was with. Some of the "fixes" for some problems with xp, DONT actually work properly... But as for my overclock, it is 100% stable.

Delete the thread if you want too, I frankly don't give a ****.

Comment

I believe what PI was trying to say was that while your system may appear to be perfectly stable at the overclocked speed, it is this very speed that is causing the problem that you have described. I think you'll find that kane2g has the right idea as far as imaging the drive once you get a solid installation in place with all the tweaks done perfectly... before you overclock it to extreme levels.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Have you tried using System Restore and System File Checker?

Comment

The problem isn't caused by Windows, I guess that's the bottom line. If you played around with the "license" (I assume this means something like copying the wpa file back into your system directory) then you're doing something which is not standard procedure for Windows, so if it's not your overclocking which corrupted the install, it was playing around with system files that did it.
                  My Machine

Comment

Okay yanno what... fine... But just a bit more background info, I had a different motherboard the other two times I had this happen, a different processor, and different ram (only thing that has stayed constant is the case, psu, cdrom's and wireless internet card). I know once before I had this problem after playing with my memory timings, that's fine and dandy... This time however, no, I can say with 100% certanty, it had nothing to do with the overclocking... This machine also runs FreeBSD, which is a LOT more picky about unstable hardware than windows... which, oh ya, is also 100% stable.

As far as my license and playing with system files, blow me. I don't play around with **** that is REQUIRED for the system to operate. All i'm saying is when I copied the repair\system file to system32\config\, rebooted it told me that it was invalid.

One final note here too... when I install operating systems, or do any kinda upgrading of core componenets, the machine is never overclocked for reasons like this (but i'm not conceding it was overclocking that caused this problem).

Comment

Maybe if you'd asked a question in a straightforward manner instead of simply posting "Windows is such a piece of..." then I'd be more sympathetic. If Windows is such a piece of **** then please, by all means use another OS.
                      My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Suicide
                        But my whole thing here with the name of the thread was, in information I found online on this problem, i was told to delete the c:\windows\system32\config\system file (well rename it), then copy the C:\windows\repair\system file to the \windows\system32\config dir, reboot and that should fix the problem ... Well it didn't :)
                        did you read the article i linked you to...completely?
                        it has four parts and what you explain is related to just first part. i would say follow all parts.

[b]Delete the thread if you want too, I frankly don't give a ****.
                        who said anything related to deletion? people are trying to help you here. if you can't talk in a better way, then rather than we delete the thread, why don't you stop logging in?
                        i understand that you are in a problem and quite frustrated too, but thats no way of talking. i hope you understand!
                        : peace2:
                        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                        ======================
                        jabber : [email protected]
                        =======================
                        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Do ya use an UPS? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                            did you read the article i linked you to...completely?
                            it has four parts and what you explain is related to just first part. i would say follow all parts.

who said anything related to deletion? people are trying to help you here. if you can't talk in a better way, then rather than we delete the thread, why don't you stop logging in?
                            i understand that you are in a problem and quite frustrated too, but thats no way of talking. i hope you understand!
                            : peace2:
                            No I didn't read the article, havn't had time to do much as of late. And I did find my problem, due to oc'ng or not I have no clue, as the system WAS stable... But I did toast the motherboard (long story), so it's now making a nice nornament on the wall while I await my new one ... Problem was with the southbridge chipset... and it looks like the mook who was working on a machine next to mine, tossed some screws into the bottom of my case for lack of better place to put 'em I suppose, and forgot to remove one, but anyway, screw musta made contact someplace, because there is a big problem with the southbridge.

And it was PersianImmortal who said he was tempted to delete the thread. I don't take that as helpful thus my response. My appologies to others who were reading this thread; and yes I do understand.

Wiggo, no there was no UPS on the system at the time (was at the office, not at home).

Comment

Brownouts can also cause file corruption and hardware failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X