Longhorn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longhorn...

Err I'm scared to post this. If its against the forum rules I'll gladly take it down ASAP :D but I dont think it is.

Ok so my question is on installing longhorn build 4008. I can make it past "Copying install files" and into "Installing WinPE" but at about the end of that section it craps out and gives me an error, something like "Error copying files" and it quits. Now when I install it to a separate partition (H), it adds about 700MB of junk to my C:. I'm assuming those are the installation files. My C: is quite low on space so im wondering if its a problem. I have about 1GB left which is cuz i had to partition it to keep longhorn away from XP Pro. Has anyone else had this problem and knows of a simple fix, or should I just dump it already?

As I said, I'll gladly remove it but I figured its worth a last-ditch effort.

LH build 4008 is even worse than the last build. It's not even worth installing IMHO. I had it on my comp for 2 days and then got it off. It's unbearably slow, and full of bugs. It's friggin-darn Alpha code for goodness sakes!

Comment

download Sequoia View and see whicj all files are taking that 700MB on your C:
      If those files are required for installation than may be you can't do much about it but to decide whether to keep it or scrap it.

about going against forum rules, well no-one will have any problems till you start talking about those "where to get from" and "how to get from things".
      : peace2:
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

One thing that I should mention here is that some of these alphas are full versions while some others are upgrade versions.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I know its not an upgrade because when I get the option to upgrade it blacked-out and says that you can only upgrade if your already running build 4000 or above.

Comment

i just think y'all's computers suck (insert fav. 4 letter word here) because i had 4008 for almost a month...my only problem(s) was i couldnt update 1/2 my driver (i.e. no dx9.0) and when i ran stuff in compatibilty mode explorer crashed ever 15-20min not a major prob, it just restarted explorer and ran just fine for another 15-20min what probs u guys expirienced?

Comment

Hey ZEROKOOL, you have had two posts in one day and in both cases put **** on forum members posts.

We try to be constructive here not critical , try to be the same please. :cheers:

Comment

eh maybe a bit mean huh? wasnt tring to be, just had a relly relly bad day:mad:. sry to all who might have been offendid. let me try to rephrase my comments: i had longhorn 4008 and it ran rather well, a few minorproblems but quite impresive for alpha software, what did you guys expirience?:group:

Comment

Thats cool mate, we all have a bad one sometime.

I haven't tried Longhorn yet, its a tad early for me, I like to wait until its had a good airing and the guys on here give it the OK.
                  I have XP on 2 rigs and find it way ahead of any of the previous OS's, so Lonhorn will need to be something special.

:wow:

Comment

Except Windows 98 (not SE), M$ has never disappointed its customers. Isn't it? :D
                    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                    ======================
                    jabber : [email protected]
                    =======================
                    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Well I have to say in 1996 when I changed from Win 3.11 to 95 I was impressed, then thru every OS to todays XP Pro, I learnt one very important lesson, when working on a project save at least every 30 seconds or the illegal ops and the blue screens will screw up a good day.
                      Only once once have I had that prob with 2000 and XP and it was my own fault.
                      I read here that 98 is great for heavy Gamers and I cant comment as Gaming is not my go.
                      This is a fine Forum and I have learnt much, keep up the good work guys, I learn something new each day.
                      :group:

Comment

Originally posted by Dyck15
                        My C: is quite low on space so im wondering if its a problem. I have about 1GB left
                        I read somewhere that you need at least 1.2Gb of disk space free to install Longhorn so that could be your problem.

Comment

longhorn install was the best install i ever seen, took about 10 min (although i relly wanted to try there new file system, it wasnt an option) anyway took 10 min and took about 500-800megs of knowticeable space, if u got no drive space left, try doping a deep format, somtimes files have a way of finding themselves on ur new rig even with quick format...

Comment

Working...
                          X