Best Sites About RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sites About RAID

I'm just beginning research about RAID and thought I'd post links to the best sites I find here. I will edit it from time to time.

Feel free to add your own favorites to this thread, if you have any.

RAID Web - Raid Basics
    RAID on the desktop (Dan's Data) This is kind of old, but informative.
    Technology Terms This is from the High Point Technologies site. (Thought I'd go to the source.
    Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID) I got this from Wiggo, thanks to him suggesting someone do some homework...:thumb:
    Disk Doctors Lab Inc. Some commercial aspects to the site.
    Using RAID in Linux
    :-(

My ASUS MB has RAID interface built in...

It looks like RAID 3 is the way to go..

Maybe a dumb question, but...

I am assuming that RAID doesn't require specific HDs.. Is that correct??

I know for Raid 3 I have to have a minimum of 3 HDs... Do they need to be all the same size, brand, etc etc??

Thanx in advance for the answers to these very basic questions..

Michale

Comment

I'm pretty sure most desktop motherbords are setup to handle either RAID 1 or RAID 1+0, which means you'd have either 2 or 4 HDD's.

You are correct, RAID does not require specific HD's. It would not hurt to have all the drives involved to be the same.

There may be other members with more experience at RAID, who can provide you with additional information.
      :-(

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
        I'm pretty sure most desktop motherbords are setup to handle either RAID 1 or RAID 1+0, which means you'd have either 2 or 4 HDD's.

You are correct, RAID does not require specific HD's. It would not hurt to have all the drives involved to be the same.

There may be other members with more experience at RAID, who can provide you with additional information.
        Damn....

Seems the P4PE only supports, as you said, RAID 0 or 1..

Again, please forgive the ignorance here, but is the performance increase from ATA/66 to RAID 0/1 to justify the upgrade??

Thanx for your response...

Michale

Comment

Go the RAID 5! :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by michale
            Damn....

Seems the P4PE only supports, as you said, RAID 0 or 1..

Again, please forgive the ignorance here, but is the performance increase from ATA/66 to RAID 0/1 to justify the upgrade??

Thanx for your response...

Michale
            Asus p4b533-e, p4c800 deluxe, p4p800 deluxe, a7v8x deluxe, a7v333 deluxe, a7n8x deluxe all support raid 0 and 1,

For a raid system, u are best to have all identical drives as teh drive with the lowest specs will be what all the drives are run at. For example, if u have a 40gb drive and a 60 gig drive, your total sixe for a mirror will be 40, or for stripe will be 40 gig (2x40). for a raid 5, striping with parity, u need minimum 3 drives. Of the drives 1 wll be used for parity. So if u have 5 80 gig drives, your total array size will be 320gb, not 400gb.

Comment

Working...
            X