Amd Shoots Themselves In The Foot!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd Shoots Themselves In The Foot!?

AMD new processors might have multiplier lock like Intel. They have covered up the bridges so you cannot have easy access to them...Is AMD shooting themselves in the foot or striking oil with this move?

shot in the head more like it:snip:

Comment

Comment

We'll have to wait and see first hand what the new packaging will be like. But if they are really going to make it near impossible to unlock the multipliers, then they are going to lose a huge following in the enthusiast market. With the new overclockability of the Intel line-up, there will be no reason to choose AMD anymore unless things change greatly in the near future.

Are you listening AMD?
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

i wonder why a company would fiddle around with the strongest point they have in market.
          this only makes sense if they have something really extraordinary to offer which might be compromised cos of overclocking; otherwise the subject of this thread would certainly suit AMD.
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

heheh yeah i knew it would be bad, but then again it might just out preform the Intel (who knows...) and will be extremely FSB o/cable

Comment

Originally posted by t00lb0x
              AMD new processors might have multiplier lock like Intel. They have covered up the bridges so you cannot have easy access to them...Is AMD shooting themselves in the foot or striking oil with this move?
              is there a credible source to back this up or just rumor?

Comment

there are some photos for "proof"

Comment

Yeah it must be, because there are covers on the Opertorns. But then again, nVidia might rescue us like they did with the nForce2 so we wont even need physiccall mods.
                  <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

The latest nForce2 and VIA chipsets don't require the bridges to manipulate the CPU so they're really unnecessary now.

Comment

Ohhhhh thats different, I have suddenly been drawn to AMD. I don't know why but they hang less (not at good at games) but can get the job done. I like how Intel has a built on heatspreader, means i can be lazier...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        The latest nForce2 and VIA chipsets don't require the bridges to manipulate the CPU so they're really unnecessary now.
                        Exxxcellent.
                        Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
                        MSI NeoPlatinum2
                        2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
                        ATI x800 XT
                        Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
                        21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
                        Logitech Z-680 speakers
                        2 x WD Raptor II
                        120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
                        Windows XP Home SP2

Comment

This thread is over a year old, damnit.

Comment

Yes it is old and that quote would've been around the KT400/A era but of cause that statement isn't as correct as it use to be.

Comment

Re: Amd Shoots Themselves In The Foot!?

I don't think thats a good move on AMD's part. I know my post name is intellover, but I have always loved AMD for their ease of overclocking. Bad move.

Comment

Working...
                              X