Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 3200+ found.... WANTING?? not up to P4 par?

I am afraid that at Toms Hadware they have looked at the new AMD 3200+ with the 400 FSB and did some comparisons and found it wanting! They think it's overated and should be classed as a 2800+.

Interested in the link to the article is here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030513/index.html

:cry:

I've seen my BARTON not perform as good as the Thoroughbreed vers B chip I had. That 2100+ ver B was one swift CPU!
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

I think they just see it as a only a small benefit in speed. And they obviously don't like the numbering system. I agree. I am not that impressed with it. I would rather wait until fall to do any real investing in AMD.

Chaos

No it was wrong of AMD to alter the old PR ratin' just for the extra L2 cache, the lower actual speed results in the hurt. :(

Don't you guys think that as processor speeds kick in, you'll see more and more advantage from the 512 K? As with all things processor related.

As they exceed the limits of 266 FSB, they up to 333 FSB, not because the FIRST chip is going to utilize ALL the added speed, but as more chips come out, more and more will be utilized, until eventually it becomes feasable to go to 400 FSB, and so on.

And so right now chips may only see a 5% increase in capability by going with the 512K cache, but as things progress, I truely believe more and more of the cache will be utilized. Until a point that having only 256K cache would cut performance in half.

And remember this as well, PR rating is just that, the PR rating. Mainly for clueless public.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thread Information